Amish Chat & Chew

Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM

We toured the East Coast once with a small group and ended our trip in Pennsylvania quilt country around Intercourse. We were invited to dinner with an Amish family. Oh, my goodness, the food- they just kept bringing out more and more! I made the mistake of asking to take a picture of their home. The lady of the house got angry with me. We had been learning a new quilting technique and I had a sample with me in my purse. I went in the kitchen and showed it to her so we were OK again... They had gas lamps- it was the end of summer time and it was kind of hot inside the house. All in all, it was a great experience.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I am so envious. I would love to have the experience you had with that delightful Amish family. They sounds so loving and caring and they must have seen that you are that way too since they invited you into their home. If only we had more of that in our world today. ☺
Old 11-29-2011, 05:06 PM

But what did you chat about at the Chat & Chew?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne View Post
But what did you chat about at the Chat & Chew?
Family, children, grandchildren, quilting, white gas vs propane, their home, Elizabeth's love and collection of dishes with raised/3D flowers given to her as gifts from children and grandchildren, many of the subjects that any two couples/friends would talk about.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Shipshewana is one of my favorite places Wish it was closer. Sounds like a very peaceful and relaxing evening. I wish we could take just a couple of steps back closer to this way of life.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Nancy,
It sounds like a wonderful evening. Almost as wonderful as the evening I got to spend with you!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
mim

I had an English friend visiting me a few years ago. She is an awesome Baltimore Album aplique quilter. We went to the museum for a private tour in Baltimore and then I took her to Amish country where we had dinner with an Amish family and stayed with a Mennonite family. It was a wonderful trip for both of us. She even taught me how to make the straw hearts and wreaths from oat straw we picked at the side of the back road.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by mim View Post
I had an English friend visiting me a few years ago. She is an awesome Baltimore Album aplique quilter. We went to the museum for a private tour in Baltimore and then I took her to Amish country where we had dinner with an Amish family and stayed with a Mennonite family. It was a wonderful trip for both of us. She even taught me how to make the straw hearts and wreaths from oat straw we picked at the side of the back road.
How wonderful! In Shipshewana IN, where 50% of the residents are Amish, another large percentage Mennonite, the "English" are in the minority.....and that is exactly what the English speaking residents are called, "English", so you threw me for a minute.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

My son and dil live in Goshen, IN, about 15 miles from Shipshe and I have been there numerous times. My dil comes from a Mennonite family and I have always found them to be the loveliest of people. I have been to Yoder's and Lolly's many times. Lolly's is my all time favorite quilt shop.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM

I love to visit Shipshewana. My niece and family live there and my sister in law and brother in law live in La Grange. Just a peaceful place to visit. I love to read Amish books and admire the way they live. I would miss all my lights and comforts of home I am afraid.