Amish Friendship Bread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

I LOVE this recipe. I usually never give it away. After I make a batch, I divide it up into my 8 oz. yogurt containers and keep them in the freezer. Whenever I want to make, I just take it out and follow the recipe as tho I was making the original loaf. It's so good!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I have not tried it but it sounds great....
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM

This recipe has been around a long time. Way back when my kids were young I found a similar recipe that was in the Woman's Day 5/18/82 for a starter called Herman. It is very similar to the friendship starter but just a tad less sweet. But with this one you can do regular white and wheat bread, pancakes, cookies, and pretzels. I was given some friendship starter and did a batch of Herman and both were fairly interchangeable.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM

I had starter many years ago. You used fruit somehow and kept adding to the starter and it fermented. It made the most beautiful cakes, bread and muffins. If I could find that recipe again I would never again be without some in the freezer.

Dingle
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
This recipe has been around a long time. Way back when my kids were young I found a similar recipe that was in the Woman's Day 5/18/82 for a starter called Herman. It is very similar to the friendship starter but just a tad less sweet. But with this one you can do regular white and wheat bread, pancakes, cookies, and pretzels. I was given some friendship starter and did a batch of Herman and both were fairly interchangeable.
Dedemac, I have that article somewhere in my recipe files! I photocopied it because it had so many great recipes with it....I often baked every 5 days instead of q0 just to keep ahead of the starter. After awhile it was almost like a sweet sourdough, if that makes sense, and I kept the starter in a 5 qt. ice cream bucket in the fridge.