Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Annoying flashing advertisements on this forum >

Annoying flashing advertisements on this forum

Annoying flashing advertisements on this forum

Old 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM

I see flashing ads when I'm on the board without being logged on.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM

I've never gotten any flashing advertisements either.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Google ads at the bottom. I can live with them if it keeps us from having to pay to share our lives with each other. I have never seen any that are offensive. GREAT JOB ADMIN :) Also,
My 9yr old GS saw the headphone kitty avatar today and asked what kind of music he was listening to that made him wiggle his head and grin like that. debbieumphress please tell us so I can give him an answer.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM
QKO

I've seen flashers, scrollers, and all manner of stuff here. But it's not something the moderators can fix, it's really your fault in a way!

Let me explain; notice how those ads are strangely tuned to what your interests are? The ad space is displaying different for every user of this board, since ads are being put up there based on data gathered from your browsing habits. So if you, like me, spend time looking at motorcycle stuff, you'll see ads about motorcycle stuff. If you spend time online shopping for office supplies, you'll see ads for Staples online, etc...

That explains why some people see ads that flash and others don't.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

You shouldn't see ads that are too distracting. Google has a policy that limits the amount of "flashiness" advertisers can use in their ads. But if you notice something over the top, then please send me a screenshot and the advertiser's domain name. I might be able to filter it out.

I really don't like advertisements and the flashing ones are the worst but I think that quite possible selling advertizing space is what keeps this a free forum. Am I correct in assuming that or just computer illiterate?
Yes. But more importantly, money raised through ads allows me to buy advertising in turn and attract new users here.
That's what fuels the growth of the board.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Does she mean ads that appear on top of the Quilting board, or the ones at the bottom (or top)? I can't recall any of the ones at the bottom flashing. I used to get ads that stream across the screen but we did some hcanges to filter out that stuff.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
You shouldn't see ads that are too distracting. Google has a policy that limits the amount of "flashiness" advertisers can use in their ads. But if you notice something over the top, then please send me a screenshot and the advertiser's domain name. I might be able to filter it out.

I really don't like advertisements and the flashing ones are the worst but I think that quite possible selling advertizing space is what keeps this a free forum. Am I correct in assuming that or just computer illiterate?
Yes. But more importantly, money raised through ads allows me to buy advertising in turn and attract new users here.
That's what fuels the growth of the board.

I don't find the ads distracting at all. I understand the need for them.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I used to get ads that stream across the screen but we did some hcanges to filter out that stuff.
If you see ads across the screen, then it's most likely adware on your computer. Such ads don't come from the board.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM

I dont see them. my spam blocker is on....is yours? eating cheetos so i am henpecking
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I haven't seen them either. I know by computer put something on here, but I don't know what it is. As for the other ads, I have actually clicked on some and found them to be of help.
What I meant to say is, my computer guy put something on my pc but I don't know what it is.