Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another telemarker call this morning >

Another telemarker call this morning

Another telemarker call this morning

Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM

The only problem I have with not answering is that they keep calling and calling and calling. Lately I have had some luck by answering the calls. If it is a recording, I wait it out and at the end of their recording, there is a message to dial "2" or whatever to be taken off the list. If it is a live person, I tell them I am not interested; please take me off the call list. It isn't foolproof, but it has reduced the number of calls I get substantially.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Two weeks ago we started getting calls asking to speak to a guy named Daniel H. After about the 3rd call I got a little frisky..lol

I told the guy that Daniel H. was arrested for juggling cats without a permit........I guess they are still trying to figure that one out, cause they haven't called back.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Two weeks ago we started getting calls asking to speak to a guy named Daniel H. After about the 3rd call I got a little frisky..lol

I told the guy that Daniel H. was arrested for juggling cats without a permit........I guess they are still trying to figure that one out, cause they haven't called back.
I love that! HeeHeeHee!
I started saying, "Sorry, I don't need any.." I've been getting a lot of Medicare had my pain relieving something... I don't wait to hear what I hurt before I tell them I don't need any more pain. Nothing stops them though. They just call back the next day.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 AM

Look into 'nomorobo'. There is a website that you plug in your number and it stops about 95% (or better) of the calls. Your phone will ring 1 time and then the call drops. It doesn't stop all of them but it stops ALOT! Other than that, we just screen calls. I don't answer for anyone I don't know. Biggest problem with that now is so many of these 'companies' spoof legitimate business/person's numbers. But those are usually recordings where I just hang up.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 AM

Having a telephone used to be for our personal communication and we paid for that service.
We started the conversation with friends or businesses of our choosing and invited them to return our calls if we did not connect personally. What on earth has happened. We are not on the defense because our information has been sold or hijacked by the unscrupulous and uninvited. It is a sad commentary on technology and the ability of some to create angst in our lives. I also am one who does not answer the phone unless I know the person. I do bristle at the loss of nap time! We get about 6 of those calls each day.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post

Good one. Reminds me of the time, years ago, that my mother got tired of somebody calling at 2 or 3 AM. They wanted to talk to Gena. Mother finally told them she had left with Joe, she thought they were going to get married.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 AM

I just tell them I own my house, which is true, and all I hear is click and silence. This is right along with how I handled telemarketers who would ask for the man of the house..... I would hand the phone to my 13 year old son. Same response click and silence. Tee-Hee-Hee! Why is it that telemarketers brings out the wicked/naughty side of us? Hummm
Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 AM

Starting in December, I started getting numerous, daily, phone calls from different numbers all over the U.S. We sleep days, so I didn't answer the calls. At first I chalked them up to being wrong numbers, but the calls just kept pouring in. They'd never leave a message. I started Googling the numbers. Nearly every single one tracked back to some "credit management" group that I've never heard of, and I certainly don't owe them any money. After researching the so-called company, it seems that they're absolutely horrible to deal with, harassing and threatening people, not listening even when they have the wrong person, etc. Some people said they were actually scam artists, operating under the guise of a real company. I don't know.

I found their address, and sent them a certified letter, telling them they've got the wrong number, and to stop calling me. They completely ignored the letter. If anything, it made things worse! I'd blacklist each number as the calls would come in, but they'd spoof a new number almost every time, making it impossible to block them all. I finally put my phone in constant Do Not Disturb mode, which is set to allow only selected callers to make my phone ring. The "credit management" company still called, though, and the missed calls still showed up on my phone, even if it didn't ring. I got so tired of clearing out my call log.

I finally ended up having my phone number changed, which was a pain in the patootie, but at least it did stop them.

Hubby has been receiving robocalls lately threatening "legal action". Scam, scam, scam.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 AM

Even being on the National No Call List doesn't help....we still get calls from these crazy people!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

I don’t answer if I don’t know the caller. If it is a real call they leave a message. Then I go back and block the number. It has helped. I know the telemarketers frequently change the numbers they use for the outgoing calls so I just keep on not answering.