Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Antique lace wedding garters

Antique lace wedding garters

I still have a day job, and during the course of work one day, a lady named Jan Cook of Midland TX called me to check the status of a file for one of her clients. We struck up a conversation, I told her about my quilting, she told me she did "needlework". Yeah, right, after you find out what she does, that's like saying the ocean has a few fish in it!

She makes wedding garters out of antique lace, uses antique thread for sewing, and embellishes with antique buttons, gemstones, etc. Antique as in 1700s and 1800s. Her work is beautiful, she does custom stuff as well. She mailed me copies of articles featuring her work, and a couple of interviews. Her work is just beautiful, if you like romantic Victorian lacy stuff.

Her name is Jan Cook from Midland TX. She did Jenna Bush's garter, and also does very romantic lacy stuff for pillows - ring bearer pillows, tooth fairy pillows, etc. I won't say who she has been commissioned by to make a tooth fairy pillow for, but I'm sure it will be fit for a prince! She has created quite a niche for herself, very much deserved, I might add.

If anyone is in need of her services, please tell her that Gina Block told you about her - she will get such a kick out of it!

Gina
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Blog Entries
    tried to find her site. couldn't find anything. I'd love to see her work. do you have a website for her?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What a wonderful conversation you had! I'll try to locate her to check out the work.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see her work, i love lacework and beading and such, but can't find it. Jan, if you find it can you pm me with the address. thanks
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I'd love to see her work, i love lacework and beading and such, but can't find it. Jan, if you find it can you pm me with the address. thanks
    Lynnie,
    Here's what I found, there are several pages of this magazine article on her:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wyim-public...ml/page14.html

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thanks Jan I looked also and couldn't find anything, I'm with lynnie I love beading and lace but don't do enough of it.

Tks for that link Jan. What an absolutely gorgeous lady who does absolutely gorgeous work. What a treasure & to think it all started because of the loss of her mother. Such an inspiration.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    I live about 90 miles from Midland. I often go with my brother-in-law when he has to have someone go with him or drive for him to his Drs. in Midland. Much of the time it is an all day event, especially when he is having his blood transfusions. I think I will try to find her and see if she accepts visitors. Her work is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the post. She looks like a grand lady.

Blog Entries
    thanks Jan for finding and posting a link for all of us.

..."if you like romantic Victorian lacy stuff."
    DO I?
    wow, can I touch your pinky finger? I'm impressed that she rubs elbows with royals,
    but ever so much more with what she does for a living!
    Love to see some pics. Maybe I can google her name. Thanks for sharing!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on the article, Jan in VA!