Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ANTS!

Hey you gardeners, I have a big, mean, red ant hill in my garden this year. Any ideas how to get them out of there? I tried planting a rosemary near it, but they have actually destroyed it! I had heard they didn't like rosemary, hmph.

Other than an insecticide....I don't know.

I'm dealing with ants too, but I have the little ones you can hardly see.

Amdro--you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot---just sprinkle it on and they eat it and die!! It does work. I live in GA and we get red ants every year. Be careful---they are MEAN!!!

Blog Entries
    We always burnt the anthills... :x :x horrid little creatures to get rid of

When we were kids, not that I recommend this, but....we used to pour gasoline on it, let it soak in, then lite it on fire. Then every once in a while, take a pitch fork, lift into the pile, and when air hits the soaked in gas, it'll go poof. Don't know if it killed the whole colony, but man! was that fun!!

We had waaaaay too much time on our hands..... darn farm kids!!!

Oh my goodness! This came from a site while googleing your "help".

Indoor and Outdoor Ant Control Supplies:
    1 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat
    Instructions: Place a dish of Cream of Wheat where the ants can access it.
    Note: After they eat it, the cereal expands and the ants will explode.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes!

Here is a site that tells you how to use borax.

http://amystodghill.greenoptions.com...s-go-marching/

Hmm, cream of wheat - think I will not eat that any more!!!!

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that they don't like cinnamon. My sister said it worked for her, but she has tiny little German ants.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Oh my goodness! This came from a site while googleing your "help".

Indoor and Outdoor Ant Control Supplies:
    1 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat
    Instructions: Place a dish of Cream of Wheat where the ants can access it.
    Note: After they eat it, the cereal expands and the ants will explode.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes!

Here is a site that tells you how to use borax.

http://amystodghill.greenoptions.com...s-go-marching/

I knew there was a good reason why I didn't eat that stuff!!!

Ants must be bad this year. We have them in the house for the first time in the 15 years we have lived here. What a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I read somewhere that they don't like cinnamon. My sister said it worked for her, but she has tiny little German ants.
    Tried the cinnamon already, didn't phase them at all. Don't want to use insecticide because there is people food growing right there and don't want to poison ourselves.

Maybe call your local agriculture people....nursery or something. They might have something.

We live on a hill... a tiny hill and people look at me funny when I say that, but really the water drains away from the house in four directions... that's a hill or a rise in my books... and the soil is very dry. SO lots and lots of ants come to live in our dry soil. We've tried every ecologically friendly remedy we could find... no luck.

So we gave in and called the Orkin man. Instant results and guaranteed for a year. We could use the garden and deck within a few hours and what they used is odourless so the doggies weren't even attracted to the dead anthills for a sniff.

I have tried so hard to be ecologically responsible but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Blog Entries
    I just HATE ants!!! I have also given up on the ecological friendly ant killers, they don't work for me. Even in my garden...I use the amdro..I just don't plant on that spot...heck can't plant anywhere close with the ant anyway cause I'll get attacked......and they hurt, I also know that some folks react very badly to the ant bites...can be life threatening. I poison as soon as I see a hill starting now.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Try growing mint around your garden. Ants don't like mint and also grow it around your house to keep them from coming inside. But remember that mint is a very invasive plant and will take over an area.

If you have problems with them in the house and can figure our where they are coming in you just sprinkle baby powder there. It does something to the ants as they crawl through it and they die. Worked for us.

You are going to crack up over this...I read on a home improvement site a couple of years ago to mix honey and yeast together and put it out...espec outside issues:)The honey attracts and the yeast...well, you guess what it does:)LOL They said it really works! I only have issues inside from time to time and that 'Terro' stuff is what really works for me. Let us know what works for you:)Skeat

I use this stuff & I can say it's the only one that works :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I highly recommend it.
    http://www.terro.com/index.php

Ok I will tell you what I do. Ants hate garlic and spraying a mild soapy water and crushed garlic from a generic sprayer on my roses keep them from putting the aphids on them to milk and eat the sweet milk they admit. Yes ants are farmers. They own aphids as a milk cow. I am not lying!

If you make up a mild soap, do not use dawn dish soap. It will kill your plants! I use palmolive dish soap 2 or 3 drops to a quart sprayer and crush a large finger of garlic to almost pulp. place it in the sprayer and let it sit overnight. Shake and spray top and bottom of the leaves well. I am thinking if you put tansie, garlic or mint in your beds to grow, you will cut down on the ants in the house. The mint can be grown in the ground in a large pot so it can't run all over the place.

The site I found the cream of wheat recipe at had other tips to get rid of them, but, I lost the link to it. Sorry.... Good luck with your ant hunt girls.

Blog Entries
    try useing peppermint oil i use it inside of house works great ,get some and pour in their hole or put containers with some around and bye bye ants i tried it inside but they it can can work for outdoors as well

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Or you could try a nice hot shower from a just boiled kettle - they don't like that! You'd have to do it a few times to get them all though! I got bit by a regular little black ant the other day and my foot swelled up like a balloon so look out!

K x

Blog Entries
    My MIL said that taro works - so I laid out my Tarot cards - all they said was "you'll have to deal with a little nuisance." If that doesn't describe the problem.

Giggle. You are so funny MadQuilter.

I have had lots of friends who absolutely swear by the borax/powdered sugar mixture.
    I have never had to mess with ants, since my grandson is an expert as messing with their nests (and, our tractor will turn a nest in a heartbeat.)
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who tried the borax/powdered sugar mixture and it DIDN"T work ...

we used to use gas or oil and then burn...my dad did it. It made them move to another spot lol...it sure was fun in the summer :roll: :oops: :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast