Any Beagle lovers?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM

oh you will love your beagle ours is 9 years old now. and yes I been trying to walk more myself I know me and puppy both need too. our beagle is a lemon and white.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM

She's so cute. My grandfather had many beagles for hunting. They were good around us kids too but they liked him best. They can be vocal and like to "run" and be outside but if she was raised indoors I guess she likes it. Good luck. I hope she won't be lonely since she's used to another dog around.
Yes, if she's used to being inside and they normally like to hunt she would take off unless she's trained very well. The peeing inside might be her nervousness at being in a new place. But I hope you did ask if she was house trained. If she isn't (or wasn't trained properly) at her age it could be a problem.
But good luck. And good for you for adopting her. I've had bassets and a bloodhound as an adult and they've been wonderful.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

She looks like a sweety and very happy. My son has one and is the most loveable little thing but you have to watch her cuz she is a character. Don't appreciate any animal on my table and she can jump that high. We use a portable invisible fence when she's here so she doesn't take off.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

What a sweetie, a fence would be a smart thing for any dog. She will have to be watched as they will dig under the fence, to get out.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 PM

She's a doll! You'll love your little girl. She seems to be pretty trim. My 6-year old is definitely overweight. She's our second beagle. They can be hard-headed and stubborn but you'll love her. If this link works you can read about our Lucy.

http://scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/s...er-own&cat=500
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Yes, the link worked fine! Lucy was beautiful and you did a great job with her story.

Maggie is improving already. I took her out to pee about an hour ago, and she did her business right away and turned to me to get her treat, and then was ready to go back in the house. Earlier today, I had to call her over to me to get her treat for peeing outside. I think she's getting it! Pretty soon, I'll take her out again, and then put her back into her crate for the night. We'll see how the night goes. She's spent an hour in the crate a couple of times this evening, and she's finally relaxed enough to dose off for awhile. As a matter of fact, both Maggie and my husband are asleep in front of the TV right now!

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
She's a doll! You'll love your little girl. She seems to be pretty trim. My 6-year old is definitely overweight. She's our second beagle. They can be hard-headed and stubborn but you'll love her. If this link works you can read about our Lucy.

http://scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/s...er-own&cat=500
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Pretty girl!!

Yes - food motivated (but she looks fit in the picture)
Yes - runners (they don't intend on running away, they just keep following their noses and oops - they've trotted 3 miles!!)

A few other things about Beagles.

They are not known to be "clean" dogs (none of the scent hounds are), which means they are typically harder to house break, and if they find something smelly - they love to roll in it. These are both instinctive behaviors as scent hounds do not want to be detected by their own scent, they typically prefer to smell like anything other than a dog.

Also, make sure you keep her ears clean - often. Hound ears are very soft and supple (and long) and because they are soft they "mold" into the shape of the ear to almost fill the ear cavity. Because of this, air does not circulate well and they are prone to yeast infections. Clean them often, and Panalog helps (you can get that at your vet).

Lastly - Beagles come in two sizes. 13" and 15" - your's appears to be the 15" variety.

Best of luck! She's a cutie!!

Sue
(not a Beagle owner but I judged them)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 AM

You will love her. They have a great personality. Very loving and affecionate. Can be trained.
Remember she has always been inside so make sure she has warm place to sleep. Lots ot
running space. She will remain loyal for life. They are so fun you will see. Enjoy your new family
member.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 AM

We had one a long time ago, she was very cute, but we think she might have been inbred. She would literally eat a rose bush and a wooden picnic table!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 AM

She is adorable! We have a 1 year old beagle, his name is Copper. He is always happy, loyal, loves people, sensitive. The big problem with beagles is their nose. It gets them into all sorts of trouble. When they are following their nose, the rest of their brain turns off! We have had many beagle chases around the neighborhood, when he has gotten out the front door and has seen a cat. If you do a fence, make it low to the ground, as ours will try and dig under to get out.
He has been the best dog with the kids, he gets lots of attention, but doesn't like to be left alone.
Yes, like Doghousemom says, they have trouble with their ears. when ours is sleeping, I will flip over an ear to air it out.
Enjoy your new girl!