Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any Cavalier King Charles owners?? >

Any Cavalier King Charles owners??

Any Cavalier King Charles owners??

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM

My baby went to doggy school. Smart puppies and love to learn - and chase sparkles! The command to go and lie down in her place (where ever it's designated) is great. Keeps her from jumping up on people when they first come in and gives her time to calm down.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Stand next to the dog and turn your back. tilt your head chin up and ignore him till he calms down. Then praise him. Keep doing this. He sounds darling!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Whistle works well on husbands too, so even if it doesn't work on the dog you will have hubby's undivided attention then he can discipline the dog, otherwise you will refuse to stop blowing the whistle, problem solved, oh I forgot to mention, buy yourself ear plugs so YOU don't hear the whistle. Please let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Carol Wilson; 03-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 PM

i like a dog training show on tv. i forget the name but he had this problem on the other day. he said not to give them attention cause that is what the jumping on you is getting them. that is what they want. instead when they jump up hold their front paws and look away from them so they are not recieving the attention.you don't need to start out holding for long just be consistent each time they jump. when they sit then give them a reward. that would be rewarding them for their good behavior. he used small treats that the dog liked. when they had a follow up it seemed to of worked. but everyone in the family needs to do this and be on the same page. good luck.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM

I have a Cavalier who is now 18 and doddering. I wish he could jump but even when he was young, he was very grave and serious. As a long-time dog owner (I currently have 5) I have learned to add a hand signal with a the command. For instance, I always use my index finger almost like a scolding librarian, without the scold when I say Sit!
Keep your energy very level and calm. Your Cav will learn quickly. You might also look into clicker training.
Our Basset is verrry stubborn and will do what he wants to do unless I click that clicker and BOY! he comes running...there's a treat there! I really do like clicker training. The main thing is consistency...without that, you're lost.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Stand next to the dog and turn your back. tilt your head chin up and ignore him till he calms down. Then praise him. Keep doing this. He sounds darling!
I second this! I cross my arms, turn my back and look at the ceiling (no talking). As soon as the jumping stops I turn back around. Repeat as often as needed....they "get it" sooner than you would think.

The other thing, that helps, is if you wait 5-10 minutes before you greet him.

There are so-o many positive training books, for dogs, out there now and the positive training really does work.

Here is an article on positive teaching for jumping. This site also has lots of other great advice for training your dog. http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/jumpup.html

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 03-16-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Make sure that whatever you do to retrain him to not jump, that EVERYONE does the same thing. If Momma isn't around does "Daddy" let him jump? If so crating might need to be an option when you are not home.
I Have trained many dogs and depending on the dog, eye contact may be more of a challenge than anything. It can work against you if you are not an alpha. Just depends on the dog. The crossing arms and ignoring them does work, almost instantly. It will also need to be taught to folks coming to visit. Yes we have to learn too.
Good luck and don't forget that they will always need refreshers, no matter what command it is...