Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange? >

Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange?

Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
This will be our first Christmas without Mom since she passed in June, I thought at our Christmas party it would be fun to do funny gag gifts or white elephant gifts to have some fun. Anyone have a clever, funny idea for me?
Yes! This is right up my alley. When my mom pasted away several of the other sibling decided to call on me for everything (as if I was the new mom of the family) I was OK with it for about a year but then it got really annoying went they call and ask for "Mama Sue", so this is what I did.

I made a huge pair of panties and put them in a box with a note that read said " You are all grown up now, Here's your big girl/boy panties". It didn't take them long to learn "I wasn't mom". I will still help them out as needed just don't call me "mama", she is not replaceable, just missed.

Not that you are having this sort of problem, but it is a funny way to look at things and I think you could use this same idea but with different wording.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:32 PM

LOL!!! These are great!!
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX View Post
How about a "junk drawer starter kit". I took a mayo jar and filled it with stuff my junk drawer - twist tie, thumb tacks, clothes pin, penny, book of matches, etc. There was a poem attached, but I can't remember it now.
Got one of those twisty phone cords - voila - a phoneless cord.
At a family reunion, I told everyone that the company I was working for had big profits that year and shared them with the employees, so I was going to share them with my family. I gave all the guys diamond tie tacks (I glued a dime to a thumb tack), and gave all the women diamond pins (glued a dime on a safety pin).
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Personably I don't like to get or receive gag gifts. I feel it is a waste of money, and you take it home it is just thrown in the trash. I have enough junk in my house, I don't need more. I hope I don't sound like a scrooge.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM

I just don't see anything funny about your "I-Pad". I think it is embarrassing.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

So funny!!!
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX View Post
How about a "junk drawer starter kit". I took a mayo jar and filled it with stuff my junk drawer - twist tie, thumb tacks, clothes pin, penny, book of matches, etc. There was a poem attached, but I can't remember it now.
Got one of those twisty phone cords - voila - a phoneless cord.
At a family reunion, I told everyone that the company I was working for had big profits that year and shared them with the employees, so I was going to share them with my family. I gave all the guys diamond tie tacks (I glued a dime to a thumb tack), and gave all the women diamond pins (glued a dime on a safety pin).
Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I totally agree. Just rude. Imho. Needs to be rule about gifts that can be deemed rude or unkind.
Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
I just don't see anything funny about your "I-Pad". I think it is embarrassing.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Our ages span 19 years, so it was a little hard to appeal to all of us 40 years ago. When we were all home in July one year we had Christmas in July. We went to the dime store (remember those) with $12. in our pocket and bought presents for everyone. Eash one specific tho a particular person and wrote a poem to go with it. Lights in the fire place for a fire and put up the tree. It was one of the most memorable Christmas we had. and the warmest.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 PM

In this situation it is more about the laughter and fun during the game than it is about taking something valuable home to use.

Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
Personably I don't like to get or receive gag gifts. I feel it is a waste of money, and you take it home it is just thrown in the trash. I have enough junk in my house, I don't need more. I hope I don't sound like a scrooge.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jothesewer2 View Post
One I got was and I-pad, a sanitary pad with a jiggly eye glued on one end of it. It read,"THE ORIGINAL I-PAD"

My family would have died laughing at this one.

I guess it is our odd sense of humor.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:26 PM

one year my mom gave me a "diamond pin"-- it was a brand new shiny dime taped on a recipe card, with a lovely new safety pin, pinned through the card right next to it. she didn't lie--it was a "dime 'n pin".

she gave her niece a "two carrot ring", too--two fresh carrots with a shower curtain ring around them. lovely thought!

one year she gave me an "electric dishwasher"--part of a shortened electric cord stitched into the corner of a dishcloth. (she was not above raiding dad's workshop to find "parts" for her gifts.)

one gift was a box "mixed nuts" that was just a wonderfully random collection of family photos, with her "special" captions of everyone. yep. mom was a closet crazy. she always looked so "normal" and straight -faced, but she carried a bit of the wacky in her sense of humor.

she was fond of giving each of us a pair of socks, as a group--she would mix and match the crazy patterns so no two pairs were alike. christmas socks were the most common victims. even though mom has been gone for ten years, now, several of us still have those "pairs" of socks, and we wear them on the holidays, and laugh and tell the stories. we all still miss her...