Any one work retail?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

You are so right not to let anyone spoil your disposition or steal your smile!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM

Got to love the grumps- they are really disoriented when you keep smiling and being polite!!!

After ten years in retail, you learn to just be the pleasant person you are and let go of the grumpy people.

I actually had a customer come back the next day and apologize for being so mean.

It meant a lot to me to know I was doing my best to keep things smooth.

Enjoying your work will keep you satisfied and keep the customers coming back.

I tell my customers to have a good today and a greater tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I used to. No more! :thumbdown:
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I was in a job I loved but my boss was constantly telling me I could do this and that and then completely CHANGE HIS MIND! Oh goodgrief I was going nutso! So inlisted the help of "wine woman" and and two friends from California. One is losing her home due to unemployment and the other has a son out of work for months and months. After listening to them I came to this conclusion...

CHING, CHING,CHING

When ever I would get frustrated I would remind myself God put me here and I can either enjoy myself or I could be unemployed.

Another job I had was for a hotel. Big name hotel! I was a "Journey Ambassador" I was supposed to solve everyones issues. WOW I loved that job. I really LOVED it! Some people were so mean spirited and ugly and I would just think ok God You put me here and I will take care of them. I got 36 guest comment cards in 6 weeks and the head dude loved me. He was so confused as to why I did what I did. My responce to him is I love people. He was a miserable person and always stressed and angry. That job is what showed me I love to help people and love making people smile :-D . I went by the name of "Sunshine" there and people thought that was my real name.

So just smile and be grateful you have a job in this economy! Unless of course your are so stressed that it is making you sick! Nothing is worth that, I can attest to that as well. Another job, another time. LOL. Sorry so long!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM

I have worked retail my entire life,and there will be days that you can not make anyone happy no matter what you do.You just smile say ,thankyou ,have a great day and move on to the next one,you kinda have to let it slide off your back,if you let it get to you you end up really grouchy,there have been times I have taken the money out of my pocket just to get them on their way,and then when the manager get there explain to them what happened,but only if it is like a dollar or less,so that they don;t have to wait,course I would check with your boss to see if that is okay to do.Just keep smiling
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
I do see myself as a duck. All my troubles and problems are water and I just let it roll off my back.
My husband has told me to not worry about the things I can't change and has quoted to me the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 AM

Hug your man ...he loves you kid! :thumbup:
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM

We sell at a farmer market and we maybe have had 5 irate customers over the 20 years. We find the best way is to let people know we are always there and if you have a complaint tell us, not the other farmers. One customer this past summer, who insisted that we sold them some rotten potatoes the day before..and wanted them replaced (which we will do gladly) but the potatoes weren't ours. SIL told the person to go thru all the crates and if they found any like the ones she had in her bag he would give her the whole crate.... Other customers hear this and are happy with our policies. Have had almost the same customers since we opened. We believe she purchased some last years potatoes off the street as they had alot of them. Our potatoes are sold the next day from pulling.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Of course, that is if you own the business...I can see where a clerk working for others might have a problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM

In my 20's I worked at a dept. store in Miami and I was behind the service desk. I was waiting on a customer when another customer was tired of waiting in line, so she came up and started hitting me on the head with her purse. She would not stop and I got to laughing so hard, tears were running down my face. The manager of the service desk finally came to my rescue. It was so funny.