Any Other Homeschoolers??

Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM

In NY we have to teach music each year until middle school and then they need a few credits in it then. But our curriculum has the art and music electives so I just buy those. The music elective teaches the children the different notes and how to read a staff. It works for the state and the school district so it works for us, lol! Today I managed to get all 5 week's worth of lesson plans filled out and half of the sheets for those weeks pulled and filed appropriately by day. Tonight I'll finish pulling the last 2 weeks' worth of papers and file those...when I'm not babysitting a 10 month old crawler, lol!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I know this is a joke but it's one I always think about when people talk about socialization:
"My wife and I were also concerned that our children would miss out on the socialization available in the public schools...so once a week we take our kids into the bathroom, cuss at them, push them around, steal their lunch money, and offer them drugs, and that seems to take care of it."
That's funny. :lol:
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM

In Indiana there are no regulations whatsoever. We are supposed to school for the same number of days as the public schools, but the definition of a school day is up to us. If a child is removed from public school a letter of intent to home school has to be filed but otherwise there's no requirement to notify anyone. There's no testing or paperwork requirement either. To tell the truth I wouldn't mind some testing so I could be confident my kids are on track for their grade level.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I wish it were that easy for us. We do have to file an intent to homeschool form each year. And we have to mark the hours we teach and have to have at least the same days as public school and at least 990 hours clocked in one school year. And, I'm required to keep a log of our hours and keep all of their schoolwork so that if the school district comes to us and requests to see something they did 2 years ago, I can show it to them! They rarely do that and I'm sure they have those regulations for those who abuse the homeschooling privelege but my attic is filling up with file boxes, lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 PM

We homeschooled for kindergarten last year! Absolutely loved it. This year we decided to go with a virtual school - basically public school but at home. I'm really excited about it. We start next Wed and dh is upstairs right now getting the school room ready for this year. Need to make room for the new books and computer!

Re socialization, there have been studies done on this - and actually homeschooled kids can learn fantastic socialization skills. It's easier for them to deal with people of all ages rather than being used to just their peers. It's been fun watching my 5 yo walk up to an adult and start a conversation - and then lead a toddler in some activity.

We also regularly enroll him in art classes and classes at the Discovery Ctr - plus this virtual school has field trips. It's so much fun getting to experience all of this with him!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 PM

My husband and I have two sons and we homeschooled this throughout. I am so glad we did. If I had it to do over again I would definitely do it again. I have never regretted it. Now our sons are adults and married. Each have their first child (well actually one is due tomorrow!) and they and their wives say they are going to homeschool. I am so grateful to the Lord--an answered prayer for sure!!