Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any sock knitters here? What do you do when...

Any sock knitters here? What do you do when...

Hi all,
    Wondering what you sock knitters do when a heel gets blown out? Do you just cut off the foot and pick up stitches above the start of the heel gusset and start over? Dh has this issue with one of his socks. I know years ago there (so I'm told there was a pattern around that had replacable heels-I'm thinking this person told me it was the Red Cross pattern? I use a generic, four needle, top down pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    deb in Maine
    My best is the least I can do.

Power Poster
    I applaud anyone who knits socks! If no one can help you here try posting your question on www.knittingparadise.com/
    Last edited by Tartan; 01-22-2015 at 02:32 PM.

I love to knit socks on four needles from the top down like Whigrose does. However I never heard of the pattern to replace the heel when it wears out. Instead I just knit a new pair.

I have never replaced a heel, I just darn them, but I did replace the palm on a pair of mittens. The palms were so bad, they were beyond darning. They were a beautiful pair of mittens made with an old sweater with a fleece lining.
    I made a whole new palm starting with about 5 stitches with heavy yarn on small needles. Made a nice heavy palm. I increased the 5 stitches each row until it was as wide as the mitten. I knitted down to the base of the thumb and then cast off about 2/3 of the stitches and continued up the thumb until it was long enough. The end was decreased and knit together at the tip of the thumb. Then I hand sewed it on. When I made the second one, I had to put the thumb extension on the other side. They looked really cool. My granddaughter and her mother really like them. The granddaughter is 16 years old.

So you could cut out the heel, probably sew the cut edges at the sides, pick up stitches where the sock is still good, and knit until you come to the good part. There you can weave the stitches together. If you cast off and sew these ends together, there would be a lump which you wouldn't like in your shoe. I hope you know how to weave stitches.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Never thought of knitters still making socks. I totally admire that.

You can do as you suggest and pickup stitches and reknit or you can darn the hole...a lot of youtube videos about darning...that's what i did. I love to knit socks. I have been quilting for 30+ years and only knitting socks for about two years, but really like making socks.
    Peace by Piece
    Diane

I love making socks too. They are so fast to do. If I start to get a bit bored I just start another pair in a different color and alternating between the two pairs keeps it interesting for me. I planning on making a pair of knee socks for myself one day. Just hope I can do it so they stay up ok. I love the washable wool yarn.
    I don't know what to do about your heel problem though. Would making your DH tube socks help keep the heel from wearing out too fast because tube sock heels rotate?
    Sally

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    I don't knit socks, but I sure do darn them! I find it relaxing to say nothing of economical since my husband need special socks...

My DH's ankles get cold in the winter and his sock/slippers were too short. I bought a skein on yarn, picked up stitches around the top and knitted on about 8 inches. They work perfectly. He is a happy clam.

I have knitted socks and found that adding a nylon yarn to the other yarn as I knitted the heels kept it from wearing out so fast. You will be knitting with two yarns. Also might help to add it in again when you get to the toe area. After the hole shows up, maybe you could just pickup the stitches from the outside and knit a 'patch' for the heel area and hand stitch it down where it would join the sock.

I have knitted socks with a kit that I got from the Red Cross as a collectors item from WW2. It contained a pattern, yarn and needles for the period. The pattern was knitted from top down and easy instructions for turning a heal. The sock pattern made tall top socks for combat boots. The yarn was army green. The pattern did not have any instructions for replacing the heel. I did get some of the new yarns out there with nylon contained in it. It was yarn for making socks. I know I made several pairs and it was pricey. Good luck, I think I would darn the heel

I am a huge sock knitter, knitting one as I type, yes almost at the same time. I know there are double heel patterns that one knits in while maming the sock, not replacing it once it's gone. I have to learn this as my sister's keep falling apart at the heel. I am a toe up pattern lover, but taking advanced lessons in toe down to learn new strategies. I've knit forever but one can always learn new things. P.S. There is a youtube video on reinforcing socks and toes. I just looked it up.

More info. GO to 3sleeves.blogspot.com. She shows a beautiful double heel and she has a pattern on ravelry.com. My favorite pattern place

I am also a sock knitter. I knit a lot in the car since we are at least 1 1/2 hours to the nearest city of any size. I use the magic loop method and am a top down sock knitter. I have a book to learn toe up and will have to work on learning that method. I had not heard of replacing the heel. I am going to Utube and check out reinforcing the heels and toes. So far I have just mended them. Love to learn new things.

Some interesting articles on this! http://www.tinkingturtle.com/2014/01...to-repair.html