Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any tent campers out there?

Any tent campers out there?

My DH and I have been tent camping since we were married 41 years ago. We just love camping , hiking and photographing (DH) nature. We have experienced so many wonderful things. Can't wait for warmer weather so we can get started again. Our favorite places to camp are national and state parks. Guess we'll crawl into that little tent for as long as we're able.

Power Poster
    Nope, to old for sleeping on the ground. We rent a cottage every summer but I like running water, a decent bed and no bugs.

Blog Entries
    *** Not any more, did when kids were young.
    *** Too old (67) for it now.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Not sure where you're going and maybe you've already done this but government cutbacks have affected the national parks as far as certain activities. Hope you get to do what you want and have a good time. My idea of camping is not the same as yours but each to his own. Have fun!!

There's a significant difference between "sleeping in a tent" and "staying overnight in a tent". I tend to do the latter. By the 3rd night, I'm wiped out enough to actually sleep. Still, we love being outdoors and tent camp several times each summer, usually at state parks, but also in the backyard. The kids enjoy the novelty of it, even when we're right at home.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Blog Entries
    I used to tent camp when I was younger. My mom loved to camp. My dad didn't. We camped a lot. As an adult, I've camped at least once a year, every year that I was a girl scout leader, 14 years. I like it. My dh doesn't. We have two tents. Have fun together.
    Go forth and sew!

On no.....I camp at Best Western. I took my Girl Scout troop tent camping and I stepped on a snake and had a bat swoop down near my head.....Yep...Best Western is the place for me! ;-)

I haven't done it in many years but sounds like fun if I could find a safe place. A few years ago I "camped" in my car every other night to save money .... not the most desirable but I did have some interesting experiences. Since then I've developed a sense of safety awareness, especially when it comes to traveling alone.

We trailer camp - actually I wouldn't even call it camping. More like relocating!

Blog Entries
    We are tent campers! We usually choose the state parks over privately owned ones. Our 15 yo Pomeranian Toby Bean goes with us. He has a great time! We always search out a pet friendly beach and let him trounce around in the water!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love camping! We used to tent 30 years ago when the kids were young. Now we take our camper. We have met the nicest people in campgrounds. We like provincial campgrounds in Canada and we have been to some great State Parks in the States. We always bring our beagle and were surprised how many people bring their dogs camping. I can't wait for summer.

My DH and I have decided were going to try tent camping again. I'm worried about what shape the tent will be in when we pull it out of the garage because we have so many mice in there. Worried also if we can remember how to set the darn thing up. We always end up in an argument when we try to do things together. He says I'm bossy. Personally I don't see it. Another issue is that when we used to go camping, Every single time, it would pour down rain and we would be soaked to the skin and end up packing up and heading home in the middle of the night. This time I think we'll buy a big tarp to cover the tent so the rain hopefully flows off the tent instead of in the tent. Also now we each have a foam mattress. Makes it a little less painful on the bones. Maybe we should try a practice run in our backyard first. That will keep the neighbors wondering.
    Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself, and then for making it worth having.

Christian Nestell Bovee,

We did lots of tent camping when the boys were young; some of it was with Boy Scouts, some of it was for family vacations. When we went to campgrounds there were not many tent campers, it was mostly RVs. We had some fun trips.

Blog Entries
    Been there, done that - now, it's the nearest hotel-motel for me.

We tent camp still. We are actually avid backpackers and spend most of our vacation time walking through remote areas with a backpack and tenting--nothing luxurious, believe me--but we have fun. I also like to rent a cabin when we go away. Neither of us likes to do a hotel and avoid them if we can.

Blog Entries
    My idea of camping is a 5 star hotel with room service.

My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn without a pool................LOL
    Carmen E.

My husband and I also love photography and the great outdoors ,,,, we used to tent camp, but living here in the Pacific Northwest means you must be prepared for rain at any time. Eventually we upgraded to a pop-up tent trailer and then a few years ago we upgraded again to a travel trailer. I miss the secluded areas we were able to go when tent camping, but I'm too spoiled now. Toilet! Bed! Running Water! Lights! Heat (which we use here more than A/C, but we have that, too)! Even a fridge, oven, & microwave. Also a table (a place to eat if it's raining) and a couch (to snuggle up and read after a long day of hiking). Oh, and did I mention TOILET?!? Yes, I'm very spoiled now, but we are now able to camp year-round and stay dry and warm .... so we camp more often. I could never go back to tent camping.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    Amen! I agree!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Used to camp with a 10 X 14 tent and three kids. We were often called "Barnum and Bailey". Later my husband converted a delivery van into a camper and we used that for 30 years. Then we bought an old motor home and it is still in use today. All loaded and ready to go, no sleeping on the ground and all the amenities, really appreciated now since we are both in our 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    Totally agree. LOL

Blog Entries
    Roughing it!!! Yes!!! But I need an air mattress. These old bones don't like the hard ground anymore. We have access to trailer, motor home, etc. They are nice, but some of my best memories are in tents! And the most important ingredient to a successful camping trip? cooking over the open fire. Now that's living!! Have fun!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I don't do tents. My husband and I camp in our motorhome. We love it. I told him a long time ago I would not go camping in a tent. Glad you like it and love being close to nature.

Before the economy tanked along with our bank account, we had a 40' motorhome that we used to camp in! We loved it and all the outside activities. We went up through Canada, stayed in Banff National Park for one. Moose and elk all around the place. You really get to see a lot when you camp. When I was 20, a girlfriend and I drove my convertible from Florida to Canada and camped along the way - without a tent!! Woke up one morning to see a skunk nosing around the old campfire. I laid back down very slowly and quietly! No more camping here....

In the mid 80s we tent camped every weekend and a couple of weeks during the summer. Only so we could build a cabin on our country acreage. I don't do any camping and never liked it. If I want to be close to nature I go out on our back patio. Every Thanksgiving we spend at our cabin in the country with family and friends, two nights and two days. That is enough for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast