Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts >
  • Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

• Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by scarlet14
    Just remember to tell them to not look up when you are trimming their bangs and not hold them [the bangs ]when the harpir is wet---stretches-- and bangs will be way too short---this is from a retired hairstylist
    Do you watch the Big Bang Theory? Penny is cutting Sheldon's hair and he is ticklish and laughs and she cuts too much in the back. It's just hair and will grow back - eventually!
    Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by scarlet14
    Just remember to tell them to not look up when you are trimming their bangs and not hold them [the bangs ]when the harpir is wet---stretches-- and bangs will be way too short---this is from a retired hairstylist
    That just made me remember something else. When my youngest sister was in first grade the teacher told the kids they would be getting school pictures the next day. She told them they needed to look nice. Wear good clothes and have their hair combed. She said they might have their mom's cut their bangs. Well, she cut her own bangs. Yup - the bangs were about a half inch long when she got done. My mom pulled some more hair down and cut more bangs to hide the sticking up bangs. Well it worked except when she got the picture, the bangs parted and the cut off bangs stuck straight up.
    Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 AM

I've cut my own hair for 12 years since having breast cancer treatment and having NO hair. I believe I have saved over $5000 in ten years which I have devoted to my quilting. I use a pull-out extension mirror attached to the wall in the bathroom. It allows me to look in the little mirror to see what I'm doing on the back of my hair in the big mirror over the bathroom sink. Occasionally the cut is not perfect, but no one has ever complained about it. I have short hair which is layered.
    Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 AM

I always cut my daughters hair when she was living at home, and my husband decided he wanted me to cut his hair too. Then we had 2 boys and they are now 21 and 19 and have never gone to a barber shop. They have both convinced their girlfriends to cut theirs now, instead of us. The girls are doing a great job. It's funny how simple things like that become traditional. When I was growing up the family down the road had 8 kids and the Dad cut all their hair. I always thought it was a great savings and decided it wouldn't be too hard to do.
    Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 AM

I have done my DH for years, since the lean years when we were first married LOL, then 2 sons til they left home. I have even trimmed up the back of mine also...nothing to it...they live with mistakes if they move LOL
    Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 AM

I cut my 2 girls' hair most of the time until they graduated from high school; my hair cutting skills are limited, but I could do a really good looking short cut. I cut my son's hair when he was small and over-the-ears cuts were in style. The 3 "children" are long since grown to adulthood, so now the only time I cut any hair (and very reluctantly!) is when my husband gets too sick to go to the barber for weeks and weeks on end and his hair length becomes annoying for him. I just cut off enough so it won't hang in his eyes; he has curls that hide the bad haircut.
    Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
    Power Poster

I use to give my son a crew cut. Before 6th grade he wanted it longer and started going to Barber Shop for trims. My Husband cuts my hair, last 10 years of so. It is baby soft and hard to deal with. He uses a clipper and 2-1/4" comb. I love it and it always looks good.
    Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 PM

I cut my hair (always have), cut my husband's hair, and the poodle's (even she doesn't seem to mind!). It not only saves money, but for me it keeps from getting that freshly sheered look, I get it the way I want it!! :-) I frost it myself, too - - but neither hubby or the poodle are interested in that. :-)

Marysewfun
    Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM

I have cut my own hair in the past, but figure that since I am cutting DH's hair (many many years ) I can splurge to get mine cut at Flip Flops. Really that's the name of the beauty shop.
    Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
    Power Poster

JaneK , come over and cut my hair. I have a hard time cutting the back, mirror or no mirror. I did trim it across the base of my hairline on my neck. Seemed to work well enough. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit too.