Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody else allergic to sunscreen? >

Anybody else allergic to sunscreen?

Anybody else allergic to sunscreen?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sgardner
I am allergic to a lot of perfumes and stuff found in make-ups and lotions. Haven't been allergic to sunscreen "yet", but as the other poster mentioned, I've been avoiding most of it as a general precaution.

The best sunscreen is clothing!
Or here in Utah where we live RAIN! :lol: :lol: Glad summer is finally here. I thought it would never quit raining.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by sgardner
I am allergic to a lot of perfumes and stuff found in make-ups and lotions. Haven't been allergic to sunscreen "yet", but as the other poster mentioned, I've been avoiding most of it as a general precaution.

The best sunscreen is clothing!
Or here in Utah where we live RAIN! :lol: :lol: Glad summer is finally here. I thought it would never quit raining.

No kidding! I think this is the first week this year that we will go 7 days without rain.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Looks like this might be more common than I thought. Hopefully, my doctor can get me in for allergy testing. I will let everyone know if this sunscreen works for me and if I can get the testing done.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by magnolia
Looks like this might be more common than I thought. Hopefully, my doctor can get me in for allergy testing. I will let everyone know if this sunscreen works for me and if I can get the testing done.
I didn't go the allergy testing route, just went by process of elimination!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pipp5
Originally Posted by QuiltE
For me it's the aloe that is in many of the sunscreens that I'm allergic to. I have to be careful in choosing any skin care products, as many have it as an ingredient ... and sometimes seen if only in the fine print (that I usually can't see because it is so small!)
My daughter and I are allergic to aloe and it does make shopping a challenge. There are so many things with aloe in them (lotion, soap, sunscreen, shampoo, make up, eye makeup remover). I can usually tell immediately if I've used something I shouldn't have, it totally changes the texture of my skin, makes it feel like velcro.
Sorry that you have to deal with this also .... though I will admit it is somewhat consoling to know that there is someone else out there who has the same problem!!! It's somewhat annoying when you are asking about its non-inclusion in a store and they look at you as though you're green and won't believe you that it's possible to be allergic to aloe. arrrgghhhh!! :)
Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 PM

You can use coconut oil as a natural alternative to sunscreen. It seems to work best if you use it often , not just when you go into the sun. Or, at the least, put it on before going into the sun and reapply often.

Coconut oil naturally blocks the harmful rays from the sun.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Me, I'm allergic to something in every sunscreen I've ever tried. My skin is very easily irritated by all kinds of things so I'm pretty used to it. Of course I'm a fair-skinned redhead. LOL

I wear a giant hat, linen pants and long sleeves if I'm going to be outside for any length of time, including gardening and walking the dogs.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

I hate the greasy feeling of wearing sun screen. I also tend to burn even with it on. I prefer a thin, white long sleeve men's shirt to wear on top of my summer clothes when I'm in the sun. I also have a large brim hat and good sunglasses. The shirt is especially good because I wear it in the water over my swimsuit. I also tend to become nauseous when out in the sun, so I avoid it as much as possible.