Anybody taking Lovasa?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM

I went to the doctor and he found my tryglicerides are high. He wants to put me on Lovasa. I am wondering if anyone takes it for this, and if it helped lower your tryglicerides. I did read that beta blockers can cause your levels to be elevated, and I am wondering if anyone has had experience with that.....maybe changing your beta blocker to get your tryglicerides lower.

Well, any info on Lovasa...good or bad... would be appreciated. It is always good to hear from "people" and not just the doctor.
Thanks so much
Peggy
Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I googled "consumer reviews on Lovasa" and got several sites to check. Try it.

Jan in VA
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I googled "consumer reviews on Lovasa" and got several sites to check. Try it.

Jan in VA
Thanks Jan, that helps alot! I had googled alot, but didnt think of that specifically.
Would still love to hear if anyone has taken this... you can PM me if you would like.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 PM

I have taken Lovasa for over a year now. I've had no adverse reactions to the medication and it continues to keep my tryglicerides under control. Hope this helps you.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 AM

I am a pharmacist and can tell you that Lovasa is a fancy Omega-3 fatty acid that can be very expensive if your insurance does not cover, but you can take over the counter Omega-3 a good brand is Natrol, and get the same results for a far cheaper price.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 AM

I also was put on Lovasa, my trigl. were in the good range, my bad colestrol was a little on the high side. can't understand why she put me on this drug. Last blood test showed this did nothing for my bad colestrol. So now she has me on crestor and Lovasa. But I will have to stop taking the Crestor my legs are starting to cramp up again. I have been on several different colestrol drugs and I had to stop taking it on account of the leg cramps........Michele
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by emt2004
I also was put on Lovasa, my trigl. were in the good range, my bad colestrol was a little on the high side. can't understand why she put me on this drug. Last blood test showed this did nothing for my bad colestrol. So now she has me on crestor and Lovasa. But I will have to stop taking the Crestor my legs are starting to cramp up again. I have been on several different colestrol drugs and I had to stop taking it on account of the leg cramps........Michele
I was on Lipitor for about 5 years when my legs started to ache and cramp so bad that I had to use a cane but I blamed it on fibromyalgia until I smartened up I quit the Lipitor and my legs quit hurting. I tried the Lipitor again and the pain was back. The doctor then put me on Crestor and I tolerated that for about 3 years and then I started falling down and the pain was pretty bad but it was the falling that made me stop the Crestor. Now I am on Ezitrol and so far no pain in legs. Ezitrol is not a statin drug so hope it works .
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by FortMyers
I am a pharmacist and can tell you that Lovasa is a fancy Omega-3 fatty acid that can be very expensive if your insurance does not cover, but you can take over the counter Omega-3 a good brand is Natrol, and get the same results for a far cheaper price.
Thanks... I had some others tell me this too. And it seems that side effects are common with Lovaza. I am curious, though... do you think this brand of OTC is better quality, or for some other reason? Just pickin your brain!

I found out that Lovaza pills were like a dollar or more per pill.
That would add up very fast.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

And an update. I didnt use the Lovaza. I am taking an over the counter fish oil capsule and my tryglycerides came down into normal range. I tolerate them well. I is Natures Bounty 1200 mg capsules.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM

My sister has problems with this and she takes it. I did some searching and your thyroid can affect you triglycerides (sorry about the spelling) and if can only be an accurate test result if you fast first. Sugar or fat can affect the results of the test. She hasn't had any side affects but they haven't came down either. I think I'll pass on the message from the pharmacist and have her to get that.