Anyone allergic to fabric?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM

There is one particular fabric store in our area that bothers my nose extremely. I do know they have a lot of decorator fabrics there but I hadn't thought of that. I do know that a lot of dyes in material will cause allergic reactions, though. I would suggest washing it before using it and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM

I start coughing when I am handling cloth. It seems worse if I am preparing it rather than handling it after it is cut out.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM

I am allergic to new fabric. I have a formaldehyde sensitivity and most fabrics are treated with formaldehyde so that they will store longer without pest damage. I do not use fabric without washing it first. I have places on my hands, where there is the most fabric contact when sewing and quilting, that have a weepy rash if I am not very careful. I have unfinished items that I work at slowly because they were started before I figured out what was happening and the fabric is not washed. The less expensive the fabric the worse the reaction. I am not sure why but some stores produce a greater reaction - type of fabric?? or individual store circulation?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM

I realized I was allergic to the shampoo I was using - Pert. I switched to J&J baby shampoo - no more problems. DH is allergic to perfumes of all kinds. Saved him a lot of money! I have to be very careful - even of the soap, face creams & lotions I use. Fortunately, Dove is ok.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Some times people are allergic to yhe dyes used.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 PM

I am very allergic to any man-made fabrics. My allergies consist of breathing in the odors of the chemicals in the fabrics. The chemicals stop my breathing muscles from working and I must use oxygen to get me through the very bad reactions. Ironing them makes it much worse. I do break out in hives and rashes when I use or wear clothes made of such fabrics. I use only natural fabrics and I must wash them in baking soda and vinegar a few times before using the fabric or wearing the clothes. I have to stay away from synthetic fabrics in the stores, too. I hope you can figure out what is causing your problems. :)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I have been quilting/sewing crafts for a little over a year now. I love this hobby. I have sensitive skin, but it has gotten better as I have gotten older. Some, but not all, perfume, lotion, shampoo & certain jewelry will cause me to get an itchy red rash. The past two months I get a rash on my face & hands. It gets better and then reoccurs. I can't think of anything that I am doing or using that is different. And then someone told me that maybe I'm allergic to fabric. I hope not. If it's fabric you would think that new clothes would break me out and that has never happened. Some fabrics I can wash & others are designer fabrics that I'm afraid can't be washed. Just wondering if anyone else does this????
it is NOT the fabric, it is most likely all of the chemicals that are on the fabric. Formaldeyhde is the most common, but there are other carcinogens as well, most in the form of bug killers!

You really need to wash all of your fabrics before putting them in the house!