Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies? >

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 AM

We would have been empty nesters a long time ago, but our 2nd child is handicapped and is still with us at age 43...

It's amazing that when you get that kind of diagnosis that it seems to be the end of the world.... but you muddle through the years and then....

it seems impossible but one day you realize what a BLESSING it has been...
she helps her dad (67 and a cardiac patient) out in the yard and shop, she helps me (fibro and diabetic)....

(and yes, we have made 'arrangements' for when we are gone)..

so we will never be empty around here LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 AM

Had my last child, first girl!, at 42. She is 9 months old and has an 18 month old brother! This is the first time I felt like I didn't want another! We have 7; I am 42, hubby is 48. We will retire before the babies are raised!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Every time I think we are empty nesters someone comes back. Our youngest is now back home. We did enjoy it while it lasted and really hope him and his wife can find jobs so they can move out again. We raised our 3 boys and then 2 grandsons. I am 65 and DH is 63. We love them all but we really need to rest. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 AM

I have 2 children of my own (40 & 33) and my husband has two children (40 & 38) - we have been empty nesters since my daughter went to college which was about 13 years ago. However, we have had a 17 year old grandson live with us for almost a year (didn't like our rules and wanted to go back to OK.) and we now have a 10 yr. old granddaughter living with us since this past Feb. I will be 65 this year - my husband just retired - and I feel more tied down now than ever. But you do what you have to do!!! Maybe these kids mother will get her act together and raise her children without lots of drama and men!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 AM

I have four living children they have all moved out then moved back in then out. About 5 years ago my youngest was homeless so I let her move back in. She has always helped with my mother & me. We finally moved into a home that is handicapped for my mother but she passed away before we could get her here. She always said she would never live with any of us, & she didn't. I also have had grandchildren move in & out & I babysit with them when I am not driving a school bus. Really am lost when there is not anyone around. I have been divorced for forty years. But love to sew & quilt for everyone.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM

may I ask, as long as you do home schooling have you taught any of your children sewing or quilting? They dont do home ec in schools anymore, and sewing is just a basic thing to know for anyone.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 AM

I had my kids while young as well -- my youngest is starting school tomorrow - I am 31. I just wanted to comment that it is very sad that you are willing to see your dgd and are unable. I rarely ask for help with my kids - but both my mother and mother-in-law are unwilling to watch them for me even for brief periods. They complain that they never get to see the kids - but when I ask if they can watch them for a couple hours so hubby and I can have a date they suddenly have other plans (I only ask once a year or so). Hubby has a job interview in another state, I called my mil and told her I really NEED some help with the kids for a few days so we could go check things out -- her reply "that's interesting"
I hope your dgd's mother realizes what a blessing she has in grandparents for her daughter!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by n2stitches
I have a 20 year old son at home. I am almost 60. Cannot stand the thought of being an empty nester! What is wrong with me????
NOTHING is wrong with you. We will never be empty nesters..children ages 30, 28, 15 and 15.... I will be 66 when the twins graduate from high school... One grandchild, but in Alaska and we rarely get to see him because of the distance(so sad). Our older children have good, busy lives and I miss not seeing them every day. With no employment we are not able to travel and visit...but will someday!! We raise our children to make them independent adults and when they leave, a piece of my heart breaks each time that I have to say goodbye.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM

My youngest has just been accepted for cUniversity so he will be leaving, but middle one returns ( for at least a year until he getsmarried. So I feel I am being let down gently( I'm 53) . i also have my mum who's 91 with me so although she isn't able to be much company now it is at least someone to talk to. i have said to myself that i will stay in this house for 3 years while youngsy comes back for holidays and then consider downsizing after he graduates.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by arimuse
may I ask, as long as you do home schooling have you taught any of your children sewing or quilting? They dont do home ec in schools anymore, and sewing is just a basic thing to know for anyone.
My three oldest children learned to hand sew patches together and quilt pre-printed panels that they had sandwiched together when they were about 8, 9, and 11.

All three began their own disappearing nine patch quilt last winter. They got about 2/3's of the way through their tops when spring arrived and we put them away for other projects.

We will finish them this fall/winter! My boys especially love sewing....it's a machine!