Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had a rash from radiation treatment? I am losing my mind!!!!

Blog Entries
    (((Hugs)))

There are several anti itch lotions, Gold Bond has one, another is Sarnia ( spelling?) I know they work for my guy who is always getting poison ivy. Maybe they would help you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I had radiation in July of 2010..and I still have a rash and it does itch terribly. If you ask they will give you lotion. The doctor gave me Calendula Lotion..it is Homeopathic and nongreasy. He also gave me Dove for sensitive skin soap.
    I had the radiation in the back and in the front for my spine. The front didn't get a rash as bad as the back.
    Hope this helps you..it takes time!
    Peace and Blessings,
    Hugs to you and your battle! That is not good news...a year later and you still have it?!?! Oh Lord, I am really getting depressed now! I wish mine was somewhere else, because it gets embarrassing to itch your boob in public, but I can't help myself. Perhaps I will ask the doc for a short-term dose of prednisone, which is usually what I need for poison ivy. This is very similar to my allergic reaction to the ivy- ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Lee
    I just finished radiation therapy last week-YAY! But, I have this horrible rash that covers the entire radiated area and the itching is really affecting me mentally. I can't even sleep at night, because it wakes me up, and not allowed to scratch. Woe is me..ugh.

If anyone has been there and done that, but found some relief...please please please share this tip with me!! I have tried the recommended Aquafor, hydrocortisone, prescription topical steroid, etc....nothing is helping me at all. Sorry to be whining, but I am really losing it here :cry:
    You might try Benadryl Gel --I finally got some relief with it.
    Good Luck.

When my friend had went through radiation, she used Ammens powder to relieve the itching.

Years ago, I had a friend who went through radiation treatments and she used a cream made by Johnson & Johnson called *Purpose*. She gave me a sample tube to use on a mole I had on my neck that was itching from tanning too much:( It works! It's fragrance free,hypo-allergenic, won't clog pores and instantly releives redness and itching! Your local pharmacy should have this. God Bless you through your treatments. ((HUGS))

Call your Dr. pronto! and tell him about this.

Blog Entries
    My sister had radiation last year for a brain tumor and she developed a rash all over her head the Dr. told her to cover her head with selsun blue shampoo and leave it on for about 10 minutes a day, it did seem to help. She looked kind of like a martian with a green head because it was green insteaed of blue.

Blog Entries
    Ask your doctor if Clobetasol is an option. I use it for SUPER itchy exsema on my legs, and it's a wonder-cream in my opinion!!

I'm so sorry that you're going thru this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat7925
    Call your Dr. pronto! and tell him about this.
    They know- they called in the script. They say it goes away in a few weeks, but not what I am hearing now. I think I will go to the dermatologist and possibly get a steroid shot!

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    I don't have an answer for you but my baby sister is going through the same thing right now and I pray for her every day. Her 13 yr. old son had testicular cancer 5 years ago and had to go through chemo while in his first three years of High School. I think he is cured now. Her dog also had cancer and went through chemo and is in remission. With all this history she feels she has a good chance of beating it. As I said before, I pray for her every day and will add you to my prayer list. God bless you and a quick recovery so you can get back to your quilting!!!

Call your radiation oncologist.

I had radiation 9 years ago for colorectal cancer. I got radiation burns in my pelvic area. I tried every cream imaginable, but nothing worked. A man that worked at the radiation clinic said to try diluted peroxide. Sure enough, it healed my "crotch" in a couple days and was very inexpensive. I don't know if the dilute peroxide would help inching, but it would be worth a try. Many prayers to you during this difficult time.

Walgreens or Wal-Mart has a product called Cobroxin that might help. Try the topical gel. and the best of luck to you. My DH had the same problem, and is still peeling (like from sunburn) 6 months later

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    I don't have an answer for you but my baby sister is going through the same thing right now and I pray for her every day. Her 13 yr. old son had testicular cancer 5 years ago and had to go through chemo while in his first three years of High School. I think he is cured now. Her dog also had cancer and went through chemo and is in remission. With all this history she feels she has a good chance of beating it. As I said before, I pray for her every day and will add you to my prayer list. God bless you and a quick recovery so you can get back to your quilting!!!
    Oh my! She has been through the ringer emotionally already and now this! That poor baby- I hope he is OK now, that is very sad to watch a child go through that. She is such a nice person to even consider saving her pet companion, as many wouldn't/ couldn't, but I know I would as well. I hope everything goes smoothly and successfully for her :)

I've had radiation therapy, and my solution was Aloe Vera Gel -- you can find it in any drug store. Worked for me!
    Janet in Ohio

IF you talk to radiation dept they have the "magic" cream and will give to you or tell you where to get what. As your mind goes to other thoughts later check about shingles.

A dear friend of mine has an ostomy bag and has founr Sween Cream to be helpful to prevent skin breakdown and itching. It must be ordered from your pharmacy (made abroad) and is not cheap, but it might help you. Good luck.

Look for Radx cream on the internet. It works!! I used it last year after my second bout of breast cancer. They ship for free (or they did for me). It has ladocaine in it and breaks the itch cycle. I all but took a bath in it. It was the only thing that let me sleep at night. It wasn't that expensive for the relief I got. Try it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by latelearner
    IF you talk to radiation dept they have the "magic" cream and will give to you or tell you where to get what. As your mind goes to other thoughts later check about shingles.
    My doctor had samples that they gave out and I put it on morning and night. WONDERFUL! I also used eucerin calming creme daily moisturizer. Hope it gets better!

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar
    Just-Lee, I just finished my radiation 2 weeks ago .... wow 27 treatments and the itching and burning was sooo bad but they gave me 2 different creams at the cancer center .... one was Miaderm and it was creamy and Aquaphor was like vaseline ... but they worked ... my radiation was on my neck and I am very fair skinned.... it pealed like a bad sun burn and the itching was the healing process ..... good luck ....try Benadryl and hydrocordozne cream .... if that dont work pray or get the shot
    good luck .....was just informed I will be having more chemo and possiably radiation .... I have non hodgkins lymphoma so I have a difficult road to ride but God holds me up when I am down and this board is so great....... I hope you get better real soon .......hugs

Just-Lee,
    I went through the same thing. I did use that cream too-very exspensive too. Don't rub your skin while washing.
    don't wear a bra just very loose top. It will get better with time.
    Best wishes from one who's been there.

Crazy Quilting robin,
    I wish you the best too.
    Marie

when my son was a teen he had hives for 6 mos- the DR had to work hard to get the pain/itch under- control. many prescriptions for alergies meds& anti-itch meds. We ALSO used SARNA lotion- previously you had to ask for it, but now its just available w/otherlotions & such. GOOD LUCK!

Any pharmacy should have Rexeme. Also, ask at the radiation place for samples. A good source of info is other people in the waiting room. That's where I learned about the cream and other things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast