Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan? >

Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan?

Anyone ever sewn a sweatshirt into a cardigan?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:13 PM

The easiest way to do it is first remove the cuffs on the sleeves, the binding around the neck, the sleeves and the band on the bottom. Fold the sweatshirt in half lengthwise and draw a line down the center from top to bottom, as this will be where you cut it. A freind who has made many of them advised me that if you like it longer you can attach a wide strip of warm and natural to the bottom after the band is removed. You pick a center point, add on the strips of fabrics you want to use, either horizontally or vertically on the bottom. I have on mine added a Loralie embroidered piece on each front anf made a frame for each one with a narrow piece of fabric. Sew your first two strips together and keep adding whatever designed strips you like. Cover the entire sweatshirt on both sides and back. What I then did was cut out lining to cover the back including the added piece on the bottom. You can then cut down the predrawn line on the front and add lining to each piece, making sure to have an angled piece on each front side (this is instead of having the fronts come up to under your neck). You can make your own binding to trip the raw edges of the front, or use double fold bias tape. If you do not want the sleeves lined just sew a small hem at the bottom rim with bias tape them either before or after you sew them back on.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 PM

I have made several cardigan sweatshirts and am hoping to make more...with hot-flashes, cardigans are easy to take off/put on. I have done some using binding around the outside edges, have done some using a facing. One I made the sweatshirt was inside out, and the sweatshirt edge brought to the front. Some I have covered with fabric, some just added appliques. I do always stay-stitch before any cutting apart and before removing ribbing, necklines. Lots of fun to make!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 PM

I have one I cut for a cardigan and picked out cotton knit fabric to make front bands & used for a matching patch pocket. I can't get along without pockets.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM

I made one this fall to wear to our Covered Bridge Festival. I work in one of the tents. I am going to try to post a picture. I have not tried that yet on our new board.
I used an old denim shirt and sort of sewed the sweat shirt to the facing and coller of the shirt, Then I added the hearts made from "garbage can fabric" that I made. Everyone loved the made over sweatshirt.

Well I did not get the picture here - can't figure it out

Last edited by Granny Charley; 11-20-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I did a very simple one last winter. Sewed two strips of grosgrain ribbon down the center, cut between them, folded back the grosgrain and top stitched. I left on all the ribbing and embellished with cross stitch.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 AM

I have not had time to try this. With all of this good advice, I am looking forward to trying it!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:41 PM

you have gotten some great ideas here. one thing to remember is to lay two strips of masking tape down the center before you cut.this helps keep the sweat shirt from unraveling or curling up.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rita222 View Post
you have gotten some great ideas here. one thing to remember is to lay two strips of masking tape down the center before you cut.this helps keep the sweat shirt from unraveling or curling up.
Great idea, will do the masking tape when I cut it. Thanks.