Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have experience with new kittens? >

Anyone have experience with new kittens?

Anyone have experience with new kittens?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Anyone have experience with new kittens?

Hey all,

We just got a new kitten a couple hours ago and she got out of the designated room I had set up for her. She is currently hiding under a chair in the living room. Is it ok to let her stay under there? For how long? We have already had to chase her out from behind the entertainment center...we did make it so she can't get behind it again. Please, any advice is welcome. I haven't had a kitten in the house in a very long time. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM

*** Yes, leave her alone. She will come out eventually. She feels safe there.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Let her be. Ignore her, she will slowly get used to the sounds and smells in your house an settle in. It may take a while. Keep any other pets out of her area. I would sit around the room and let her get used to you also. Enjoy your new pet.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

I have a 15 year old cat who STILL hides if there is something unusual in the house. Its just the way they are.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

you can lay down on the floor near her to let her know she is safe. if you are safe, so is she. it may take awhile. I have one girl who will hide under the bed. Moving to Texas from Colorado did not endear me to my cats at all. I have mama and her two girls. one very timid. the bed one. they are doing so much better now. Kittens are resilient and love to play. Sooner or later she will come out for food and water and lots of loving.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

she'll come out tonight when you are sleeping and eat and investigate them. she may do it for a few days before she feels comfortable. when she comes out, approach her slowly with some treats. she'll be find.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

when she does come out, please show us a picture of her, or him. what color is she? how old is she too? Pictures, we need pictures.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 PM

It's been decades since I've had cats/kittens but I agree with the others. She'll come out when she feels safe. Just make sure there is food; water; litter box. May have some litter issues for a bit if there is lots of commotion in the house although my experience was that if you showed them the box a few times, it was all good. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:40 AM

Don't forget to have a litter box ready. When I get a new kitten, I put them in the litter box so they know where it is. I also put them near their food. That way they know where the important things are.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:05 AM

Thanks all! She is about 11 weeks old and is a tiger tabby. Beautiful markings. I have set up the litter box and her food and water right near the chair. Last night she slept with my DD for part of the night then with my DH and I the rest of it. She has used the litter box as of last night and ate and drank this morning. Progress! The kitten is absolutely in love with my DD. Will post pictures ASAP. Have a great day!