Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone on here do beadwork?

My son is getting ready to deploy for the second time to Afghanistan. I would really like to get a deployment bracelet. I like the flat engraved ones (they can put unit, dates and a lot more), but he told me that they usually are reserved for KIA. I know that they are used for deployments as well, but the thought of that upsets my son. (I understand how he feels about it and agreed not to get that kind). I like the beaded ones as well that have the name and the Navy, flag and USA charms.
    I am looking to buy some (or even barter). The ones that I found on the net are a little more than what I can do as I am looking to get one for me and possibly my daughter and his fiancee.
    Can anyone on here make some that are cheaper than the $50 each I am finding???

TIA
    Proud Navy Mom

Blog Entries
    Sorry but if I hear of anyone I let you know. Tell your son how much we appreciate his service to our country. Hugs :):):)

can you send a pic or a link of something that we can see? and when is he leaving?

Blog Entries
    Some time ago one of my friends and I made some jewelry from sculpy clay, the kind you mold into the shape you want and then bake in the oven. She also made a belt buckle, flattened it with a rolling pin and cut it into a rectangle with 2 slots in it. Placed it over a heap of rolled up foil, pressed some pretty stones in it and baked it.

Might this be something you could try?

Banned
    Try Etsy.. here is one for $12. no names, but Im sure you could contact her or find others on that site..

http://www.etsy.com/listing/34271897...yment-bracelet

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Natalie, I wish your son well.
    I don't do beading. I thought about it once but realize I have way too many hobbies and quilting is the one I really really love :)
    Take care! Sue

This is kind of the type I was looking for. I am headed into town tomorrow and will be visiting a bead store to see if they will make some for me reasonably.

http://www.beadedroyalty.com/deploym...y-bracelet.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Try Etsy.. here is one for $12. no names, but Im sure you could contact her or find others on that site..

http://www.etsy.com/listing/34271897...yment-bracelet
    I looked at these earlier but they aren't quite what I am looking for. Thanks though.

I do beading, but more the type of beading for wedding attire (garters, hats, etc.). I would, however, like to take the opportunity to thank your son for his service to our country and fight for our freedom. We are the land of the free because of the brave.

I would be worried about beadwork holding up over time. How about leather?

oh I see, I was thinking of seed beads. I guess I am stuck in the 1970's.