Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anyone here do clothing before?

I wanted to try it out since I can never find what I want how I want in a store. I decided to start with a simple burda coat but I'm having problems figuring out sizing :lol: :shock: great start i know. anyone ever use a burda pattern before?

Burda has a great site on line, I'm sure it would answer your questions

http://www.burdastyle.com/?gclid=CLe...FQObFQodqSZY9A

if you scroll down there is a place to find a size chart :wink: it converts cm to inches.. for sizes

yeah i've been a member for awhile and tried that. doesn't seem like anyone is willing to help there. further proves we have an awesome group of people here though :-)

I've done quite a bit of sewing. Everything from casual shorts to Wedding gowns, but I can't said that I've ever used a Burda pattern. Is it just size conversion you're needing or what in specific.. I'd be happy to help if I can.

It says to go by bust size for the jacket which is fine and dandy but when i looked over the pieces the main front piece says my bust size finishes at a smaller size then the other part of the pattern states i'd be. I was going to cut out at 8 but it's saying on that pattern piece i'd be a 6. burda doesn't seem to have much by way of troubleshooting that i've found on-line. what do you think?

Aww man Ruth the chart you linked to gives me yet another size-4! Yikes! Maybe I'm not ment to make clothes!! grrr i will persevere!!! i will have my pretty blue twill spring coat!

I am pretty sure the burda patterns don't have instructions in the envelope. I think that you should start with a different pattern company. The simplicity company has redone thier patterns to make them better and easiler to use. I love the mcCall and butterick patterns the best because they have more detail to them. The way you determine your apttern size is by measuring youself carefully in the areas that are required for the garment you are making. Now, remember the patterns are standardized. You might have to alter the pattern slightly for it to fit you well. Just take a tape measure to the height and width of the pattern and make small adjustments to it. Remember to figure in ease so you can move it it right.

Well, there is a little bit of a learning curve to anything, right? Just don't buy a pattern that is too advanced to start out. Keep it simple lines and I think you will do fine. Don't forget to check the pattern for any notions or thread that you need to make it and get them while you are there at the fabric store. Give yourself time, don't rush it. I finally broke down and bought an adjustable maniquin to work with. I love it!

Oh Red i had a number of patterns picked out ahead of time so i could run into joann's and run out--YEAH RIGHT!!! LOL! They had none! None! of the ones I wanted! There were no coat patterns to speak of! Craziness i tell you. I had a mc call's that i put back cuz it was $10. This one was $7. Maybe I should go back for the mc call's!

I haven't used a Burda pattern, so can't help you there. However, I heartily recommend Pattern Review.com for help with sewing clothing. Burda patterns are discussed there and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Heres the link:http://sewing.patternreview.com/news

oh boy i tried that site too and--of course--my pattern hasn't been reviewed. Egads! I sure can pick them!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

I have found when I buy patterns that I can't go by the size. I have to go by the measurements. I wear a size 12-14 and the patterns show I wear an 18-20!! I usually buy the McCalls, Simplicity or the Butterick. I wait til Joann Fabrics or Hancock have them for the 99cent. Then I get what I think I want. Sometimes there is a limit to 5 or 10. I would rather pay a buck and be out that then the $15-$20 they have stamped on the package.

Barb

As for sizing, I would use my high bust measurement to choose the size. Measure your chest just under the armpits and above the bust. This will give a better fit through the upper chest and shoulders. A garment like a coat generally has lots of ease. Depending on your bust measurement, you may not have to make any alterations. Generally, a full bust alteration is easier than having to alter the upper chest area which can affect the neckline, shoulder and armscye.

Can you post a link to the pattern? Maybe we could be more helpful.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...atternid=26720 view A--the one only given in the line drawing.

I've done a lot of sewing clothes, I have some Burda patterns but have never used them, because I'm too lazy to add the seam allowance. They are older ones, and I think I read somewhere that they now have the seam allowance added. The measurements are the most important. PM me if you need some help and I'll see if I can help.

i was/am a custom dressmaker for a loooong time(now only when i feel like it).

burda is not a good choice for a beginner. it has very strange shapes. look for a pattern company that offers instructions for size changes. if you are a size 8 bust and a size 10 shoulder, you need help making that change, especially if the neck opening is too large or small. there is no beginner that knows how to decrease a collar neck size. on bottoms, hips and waists need change instructions. many of the european pattern companies don't give any. if there is a set-in sleeve, that adjustment is not as easy as it may sound.

telling a learner to buy for the high bust and increase for the full bust is absurd. most of the time they don't even know what that means.

start with a pattern that has no set-in sleeve and a neckline that has no collar. either a boatneck or u-neck is perfect. something loosely fitted , but with some little bit of fitting is a good start. look for side slits, a good learning technique. knits are easier to fit, but harder to handle. you should preferably use a serger with knits and be very careful about cutting. don't let it roll up. if you use slippery fabric, use a walking foot.

soooo........start easy, but with one or two lessons in mind for yourself. buy inexpensive fabric and be prepared to make a mistake or two. stay away from stripes and plaids. don't beat yourself up over it. take your time and don't do it when you're tired.

each time you make something you'll learn something new and your confidence will build. or, you may decide you hate it and it isn't for you. big deal. no one has to do everything.

VERY IMPORTANT: learn what your machine will do for you. will it blindstitch? overcast or zigzag? roll an edge?

believe me, you can do it. if you decide to go ahead and you run into problems, you can pm me and i'll try to help you out long distance.

Blog Entries
    I tried a Burda pattern a while ago and found it to be more challenging than it's worth. As far as size goes, what is the pattern (if you posted, I missed it)? Is the garment supposed to be loose-fitting or tight fitting?

All right I am officially giving up on the burda. From all your wonderful help here and my mom's insight it's not something to start with. Eventually I want to make this one http://www.butterick.com/item/B4463....h=b4463&page=1 but I will find something easier to start with. I tend to forget I'm a newbie and not all that advanced when I pick projects :oops: eventually i will make me a cute coat though!

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    I haven't used a Burda pattern, so can't help you there. However, I heartily recommend Pattern Review.com for help with sewing clothing. Burda patterns are discussed there and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Heres the link:http://sewing.patternreview.com/news
    i tried that site and it's a good site. did you look at the photos? on the burda tops, there isn't one that fits right. the set-in sleeves are not smooth and most are wrong-sized. some of that can be attributed to the sewer, but some to the lack of fitting instructions. IMHO. i have found that burda is generally oversized and the inclination is to take it in too much.

yikes that would mean a lot of the free patterns i've downloaded from burdastyle will probably have the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    All right I am officially giving up on the burda. From all your wonderful help here and my mom's insight it's not something to start with. Eventually I want to make this one http://www.butterick.com/item/B4463....h=b4463&page=1 but I will find something easier to start with. I tend to forget I'm a newbie and not all that advanced when I pick projects :oops: eventually i will make me a cute coat though!
    try this, it's a good beginning:
    http://www.kwiksew.com

Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    yikes that would mean a lot of the free patterns i've downloaded from burdastyle will probably have the same problems.
    yep! sorry.

If you are new to clothing, I would start with an easy pattern- say pajamas. I think either Simplicity or Butterick ( can't remember which one) has a line of real easy, quick patterns. Clothing is way different than quilting. Darts, adjustments for differing body measurements, pleats,gathers, etc. Also, if you really want to learn, get a good book. And check your local PBS station to see when Sewing With Nancy comes on. She taught last week how to resize patterns. Very helpful.

Power Poster
    Be sure to take your measurements before you buy your pattern.

Ready-to-wear sizing and pattern sizes are sometimes different.

Also, read the size descriptions at the back (I think) of the pattern catalog.

The suggestions to try something easy to start with are very good.

Another of my Mom's quotes: "Nothing succeeeds like success."

Which is why I like making quilts - almost any size can be used for something. :-)

If you have a consistent fitting problem with ready-to-wear, you will probably need to make some adjustment to your pattern for that same thing.

Also, patterns are drafted for a B-cup breast.

Here baby girl...start with these to learn the basics...they're about the easiest to learn with. If ya need help give ma berry a call. Huggers! (Use the bottom scroll bar on the page for the patterns)

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-itssoeasy.html

they have a wide variety of things to pick from too :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast