Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is anyone here familiar with Tree Frogs? >

Is anyone here familiar with Tree Frogs?

Is anyone here familiar with Tree Frogs?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 AM

What amazed was how such a big sound could come from a little critter.........it lived in one of my containers of flowers by my pool........
Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM

We have them here, they are so cute. It may have been raising a family in your plant so don't be surprised if you find more. Better the frog than the rat snake I found coiled in a hanging basket I was getting to bring in last year. Thank goodness he got out when I took it dawn and slithered away.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM

We have them here in Central NJ as well. Usually in the spring. Like you, I think an entire family moved in this past year. We've had a couple for the last 3-4 years but this year - yikes! Ours live among the akibia vine that is everywhere around our pool/deck and mostly hang out on the lip of our above ground pool. For winter, we just let our pool go - not winterizing and just drain; clean and refill in the early summer. Well, this year after seeing about a half dozen or so tree frogs, I happened to glance in the dirty pool one day. There were a bazillion tadpoles in the pool! After some online research I discovered that each tree frog can have up to several thousand - yes, thousand - tadpoles! Well, I think every one of those half dozen or so adults had all several thousand of those little buggers! DH put several leaf skimmers worth of tadpoles into the creek at the back of the property before 'doing' the pool this year. I don't even want to think about what will happen next spring!

And yes, according to my vet-tech sister, they do taste nasty! One of my concerns if all those tadpoles grew up was that I was going to be wading calf deep in tree frogs in the back yard because the dogs won't bother them. She said snakes & large birds are their predators. Well, with 2 dogs in/out of the back yard, no snakes/birds to snack on the frogs. But they are the cutest little things with such giant voices. Love 'em.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM

We have them here in the NW also. We have a small pond in our back yard and I keep it running all year to give outside animals a watering hole and each year I look forward to my new batches of tadpoles growing.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 PM

Funny you should mention it. My large Rubber plant was on the deck in front of the window. One night the little green tree frog was on the window and I was watching him catch bugs (and cheering every time he ate a mosquito). We saw him several other nights after that, then nothing.

Fast forward to last week when all the house plants made the big move back into the house. We set the rubber tree in the corner of the dining room about 3' from the corner of the dining table.

You guessed it ... during dinner the tree frog decided he wanted to explore and jumped onto the dining table.

Cute little guy
Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I LOVE to ride down dark country roads in the late evening or night and listen to them singing in the trees, lovely sound that I've always enjoyed.

Jan in VA
Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 AM

I'm kind of jealous! I'd love to have tree frogs! My kids would be delighted with them.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 AM

I *used* to get to listen to frogs singing at night, but it's gone so dry around here I am not hearing them anymore.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 AM

For those of you bringing plants from outside to inside--I spoke to the local garden center and they said to spray the plants with a solution of ------ 2 squirts of dish soap, 2 capfulls of rubbing alcohol, mixed with a quart of water. Spray thoroughly---dirt and under leaves also. Then leave in garage for 2 days before bringing into house. It sure has cut down on my spider population.
As far as those tiny tree frogs...we have a creek (drainage ditch) behind the house and it is wonderful to listen to the little guys in the evening. Their sound is always an indication of when spring arrives.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM

We have them here in Portland, OR--but I guess that doesn't surprise anyone.