Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone read "Diabetes Without Drugs" by Suzy Cohen? >

Anyone read "Diabetes Without Drugs" by Suzy Cohen?

Anyone read "Diabetes Without Drugs" by Suzy Cohen?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 PM

I saw an interview by the author who is a pharmacist. It sounded logical and healthy.

If you have read her book, or know anything about her 5 steps I would love to have your input.

http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Witho.../dp/160529733X

Thank you,
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM

I have not read the book but just read the description and it sounds great! I am not diabetic, but don't want to be, either, so I already do most of these things.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM

natural methods cant hurt but that is only going to go so far towards helping.
sometimes those drugs are necessary.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM

If you decide to try to go this route - make sure you stay in close communication with your doctor. My adopted grandfather had Type II diabetes that he managed without meds (mainly with his diet). I know others who manage Type II diabetics with oral medicine (no insulin injections) that help the body better process/use the insulin that is made. And I know Type II diabetics that have to use insulin shots on top of the oral meds. Not all diabetes can be managed without medicine and a person's diabetes may, over time, require the use of meds added to a healthy lifestyle. If you are currently on a medically supervised diet or take medicine, make sure that any changes you implement are appropriate for your current diet/medicines and/or (under doctor supervision) make changes so you're not causing further imbalance of anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM

If I stay at or under 149 carbs a day, I don't have any problems. Id I go over, blood sugar will get high.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

diet and exercise will only help for so long...weightloss is a biggy...one must remember what diabetes is...and if the body decides to shut down..it shuts down...all we can do as diabetics is learn to manage this disease...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandee
If I stay at or under 149 carbs a day, I don't have any problems. Id I go over, blood sugar will get high.
same here....and I have found that artificial sweeteners send my sugars up....go figure...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM

If you have a pancreas that still produces insulin you may be able to control it with diet and exercise alone. But if there is no insulin to metablozie carbohydrates it is truly beyond your control.
I see patients all the time who beat themselves up (not literally) because they have diabetes, it is not necessarily by choice that folks become diabetic, if you have the genetic marker for diabetes you will develop the disease if you live long enough. You can avoid this for a long time by good living, but sometimes it is just fate, like being tall or short or having brown eyes. You will certainly avoid a lot of the consequences of the disease by following your doctor's advice.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM

My father is diebetic and has never taken anything for it. Controlled solely by him and eating. He does take his blood sugar several times a day. I think everyone should try natural healing always before modern medicine. But there are exceptions to every rule. If my blood sugar were 500 I don't think I'd go cold turkey. Learning to mangage ones blood sugar takes a great deal of effort.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 AM

If you have diabetes and are going to try to manage your disease without medication,please do not also try to manage it without close supervision of a doctor. The disease affects many organs in your body and when it starts affecting your liver and kidneys you usually have no symptoms other than the tests your doctor runs, but the damage to these are life shortening and life threatening. There is a reason diabetes kills people and it isn't just the people who are fat and continue to eat desserts. This is not a heal-it-yourself disease.