Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone streaming TV from their PC?

Not TV, but internet!! We live in the country and don't have much TV (only 3 channels, but 2 are public broadcasting) but my problem has been not being able to connect to the internet!!! But last week I got an early Christmas present from my daughter... an iphone 5. Yesterday she called and walked me through connecting it to the internet. Apparently, it picks up the internet, with no extra cost (? daughter gave us cell phones years ago as part of her "family plan" and we have no clue about what it costs). The whole family has left for South Africa and she told me we could watch one netflix while they were gone and it wouldn't hurt their monthly bill. What a difference the iphone 5 makes!!! Instant connection without that bunch of dots swirlling around for ever! I'm in electronic heaven!!! Yes, I have a wonderful daughter!

I did some research a few months ago and what I found is that Netflix gives a better selection for your money. We are doing the free trial runs to get a feel for each one. Netflix and Amazon Prime will give a one month free trial.

So far, we are only using Netflix $8 for instant streaming along with Hulu's free instant TV shows. With an additional $8 a month we can order the latests DVDs through the mail, but we find it easier to use a Redbox. Here's one of the sites that did a comparison on Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime: http://www.moneycrashers.com/netflix...on-comparison/

We are in our second month with Netflix and we have just started our first month with Amazon Prime. We agree Netflix is better.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...539A62231F.png
    Quilts - http://quiltincats.blogspot.com/
    Travel - http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

We haven't watched network TV for2-3 years. After noting that most of the evening dramas were about who the main character was going to sleep with next, and how it completely went against our morals, we just stopped tuning in to everything. For the 1st year we mostly watched and rewatched the DVDs in our small (less than 50 )collection. Then we decided to try Netflix. We LOVE streaming one episode after another, and no commercials.

The down side is that the most recent seasons aren't available, and we've rented most of the new release movies from our local library (for $1 per week) before they are released on Netflix. We haven't looked into streaming from the computer the newest episodes of our favorite programs (Top Gear, American Loggers, ect) but there is so much to watch, we just go to the next thing in our instant queue and wait for the updates of new programs on our favorites.
    I should mention that we do have local programming on our TV, so we can catch the news if we want, or check the weather, but we rarely do. Even the news isn't fit for young children.

I Have Hulu plus and Netflix instead of Comcast and I love the small bills, but does anyone know how to watch full episodes from TLC like 19 kids and counting , I can't seem to get anything but clips for shows on TLC

Blog Entries
    Disgusted with century link, upgraded 4 months ago to get faster speed for netflix, three weeks ago speed became a turtle and computer is running slower. Cl told me there is a problem and i need to take out their in house insurance as the problem may be inside. At six bucks more a month i am holding off, thinking about dropping netflix and renting $1.00 movies. Technology is out to break us.

Blog Entries
    I watch Netflix -Hulu free- and I go fox.com for Bones and CBS.com for NCIS the day after they broadcast and I can bring it up on computer shrink it and send it to the big TV with my mouse--but I still have basic cable and internet for $57 mo.and Vonage phone for $12 Cable bundle was $136.I have had Vonage for the last 6 yrs and love it-all my long distance calls are included. My son is after me to get rid of the cable completely and I'm almost convinced.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to start as soon as I get my new T.V. in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to get a roku box, though. I haven't had cable for over 5 years. Cable wasn't available when I moved into my house, so I got rabbit ears, then I had to get a converter box to switch the signal to digital, now my converter box is dead, so I need a new t.v. Yeah, technology is sometimes more expensive and more trouble.

I have netflix and love it, no commercials can watch what I want when I want. We run through our Wii and it is great. Added Hulu plus it works fine on the lap top but I don't like it on the Wii everything is so dark and hard to see. Just my opinion I like Netflix best.

What about sports? My husband & I both enjoy watching college sports a lot. That is our main source of entertainment.

I REALLY MISS CABLE!!!! I have Sat internet and Sat tv now and so miss my cable. I loved being able to stream TV and video. The price of country living...
    brenda in MI

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieD View Post
    I believe that no matter what media u use, cable, dish etc, they overcharge and under-deliver.
    I agree. Over the last 10-12 years we have had Comcast, DirecTV and, currently, AT&T Uverse. We have 200 channels of absolutley nothing worth watching Unfortunately, we can't get even local channels or news without some type of cable or satellite since HD came into existence. I think we will cancel our service as soon as our contract runs out and just watch old TV shows and movies on DVD and get the news on the internet.

I always enjoyed the quilting/sewing shows on PBS on Saturday mornings, but went to watch them today and found they have taken them off again. So disappointing. I with the rest of you there are fewer and fewer decent shows to watch on TV anymore. Thank goodness for quilting.

Blog Entries
    My 2 daughters have Net Flix now and love it. It is only $8. A month

Hubby has Roku and his laptop connected to the TV 52" screen via a HDMI cable. He watches very little TV (we have cable tv). We also subscribe to Netflix. There are so many documentaries, movies, tv shows that are free. They add new channels all the time.

My problem with cable or satellite is that I pay them for service, then have to watch too many commercials that the advertisers pay, sounds like double dipping??

Of course he's the remote KING and he'd like to get rid of cable tv, but I don't like all that switching from the TV remote, cable remote, Roku remote, WII remote......he also uses the LOOP mouse, which I can not master, and add to that a remote control fan to keep him cool.....LOL

We love the advantage of ROKU and Netflix.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=AuntieD;5690317]I believe that no matter what media u use, cable, dish etc, they overcharge and under-deliver.[/QUOT

AMEN TO THAT ONE
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    I watch alot of my programs on my computer. If you go to tvguide.com you can make a watchlist of every show that you watch. Once you do this the day after the show is broadcast you are able to watch it thru streamline. I too have had it with the high cost of tv. We just left Directv and went back to Dish, Soon as our contract is up I do believe that we are shutting it completely off. Its just to expensive anymore.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

We live in a remote area and in a forest so we can not get dish or direct TV. We have cable for internet and TV so we can get HD programming. The cable for TV is always having problems and even with all the channels not much worth watching. We have had a Roku player since they came out and love it. We even got our kids one because they don't want to pay for cable or dish. Love the Roku and use it to watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu plus and dozens of other channels, but I don't think I want to lose the cable yet, but my husband would. Val

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    I agree. Over the last 10-12 years we have had Comcast, DirecTV and, currently, AT&T Uverse. We have 200 channels of absolutley nothing worth watching Unfortunately, we can't get even local channels or news without some type of cable or satellite since HD came into existence. I think we will cancel our service as soon as our contract runs out and just watch old TV shows and movies on DVD and get the news on the internet.
    don't you love it how they make is sound good by saying your package has 200 channels and then when you start scrolling thru them you notice most are ones that you can't understand the lanquage or want to sell you something and lots of more things that you'd never watch. Let me pick my 200 and then say, I have 200. I went down to just basic TV so that I have good reception and I get a few extra channels and I have my internet thru them as well. So for that I pay about 50 a month (TV is 21). I have my home phone thru Sprint for only 20 a month and that includes long distance and caller ID. Plus it works off a box like a modem and doesn't go thru phone lines which is good because my phone lines are messed up. Plus, I can take the box and phone with me to my friends, work, etc and plug it into the electrical and still get my home phone calls as if I was home. To get caller ID and long distance with the cable co it would have been over 50 a month (17 just for caller ID). I'm saving alot. Still considering ways to cut back more but at least I'm on the right track and keeping more of my money in my pocket. I replaced my AC units (window) this yr with energy effecient and couldn't believe how low my bills were all summer. I just bought an electric fireplace and paid more and researched alot but got one that is also energy efficient and hopefully I'll get the same results.
    Judy

I am so with you.....We have Dish and they are the biggest rip-off. We live in a rural area, so we are kind of stuck, but I am always looking for something new. My nephew lives in town, uses NETFLIX and his X-Box and sees everything he wants to for $14.00 a month. I haven't got my head around how it all works, but if you have kids they will be able to figure it out. If my husband didn't watch sports, DISH would've been gone a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    AT&T just offered a deal of $99.00 for one year, a $175.00 value as a new customer here in NS, Canada with also a $250.00 visa credit gift card to go with fibre optics. I was paying $185.00 with another cable company and thinking of cutting the cable till a knock on the door and this new offer. Seriously I will do it for one year but after that I do not intend to pay anymore high monthly expense on cable TV.

I will be trying the other alternatives.

I will be vacationing in the states for three months this winter so I will not sign up for cable but try also the Hulu. etc,. I also have been doing some research as it is just getting far too much for what is on TV these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2