Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone use lace?

My friend gave me a lot of ruffled lace, white lace, cream lace and blue lace and more. What to do with it? Anyone got any ideas? Anyone use it with quilting things? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Good question, I'll be watching this thread as I was given a bolt of 4" ruffled eyelet.

I sometimes put it around the outside of baby quilts with the last border if I have a piece that is long enough and the lace is soft enough that it won't scratch.

Blog Entries
    Years ago, I made a grandmothers fan and used lace on the edges of the fan blades and the 1/4 circle. It was pretty!

I have never seen it in quilts, except maybe a crazy quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Good question, I'll be watching this thread as I was given a bolt of 4" ruffled eyelet.
    That is the word I was looking for "eyelet".

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I sometimes put it around the outside of baby quilts with the last border if I have a piece that is long enough and the lace is soft enough that it won't scratch.
    Oh, I like that idea as I do like to make baby quilts! Guess that has me thinking, that it goes around burp cloths too! Thanks!

I wouldn't just hold it for baby things .... how about a really girlie-girl quilt? for an adult? or young Miss? I'd like to do one with a wide gathered lace, overlaying the final border and binding.

Here's how I used lace on my OBW ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141548-1.htm

There is someone on here that was putting lace on Grandmother's fan blocks. It made me want to make a quilt like it with lace. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Years ago, I made a grandmothers fan and used lace on the edges of the fan blades and the 1/4 circle. It was pretty!
    I did too!! And soft lace with ribbon inserted, around baby quilts.,

If you make the Grandmothers fan block you could edge the fan with all your pretty lace. Maybe a dresden plate block too. Sorry for repeated idea- read first and didn't go thru all of them before replying.

Blog Entries
    I have used some in my miniature quilts. The main one is the one in my Avatar.

My own pattern - lace is sewn into the bottom seam.
    Name:  Attachment-275817.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  58.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I really like these!

Well, I have a quilting book that has a quilt with baskets and different kinds of lace line all the different baskets. And couldn't you use them to put around the edge of couch or chair pillows? I have made crocheted lace myself and I use it everywhere from bluejean jackets to putting on the edge of a wooden spool to get that kind of look from rags to riches. If you get started thinking you'll think of all kinds of ways to use it.

If you make dresden plate blocks or fan blocks you can "fancy" them with the laces. 've done that alot for doll quilts but they are pretty for bed quilts too.
    Kathy Osterby

I have used it to trim the baskets in the basket quilt. I've used eylet on outside of lovers knot quilt. It is also used on crazy patchwork quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    My friend gave me a lot of ruffled lace, white lace, cream lace and blue lace and more. What to do with it? Anyone got any ideas? Anyone use it with quilting things? Thanks in advance.
    I've seen it used frequently as embellishment on quilts, and other assorted items. I've got a Dolly Days quilt on my bucket list, and have been cache-ing away bit and pieces to use on the outfits.
    "When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darnedÂ…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

yes, lace on the fans are really pretty.

Blog Entries
    I have used it on Dresden fans as well as baby quilts.

Dharma Trading Company has some really beautiful and soft-looking cotton lace on sale right now; it's dyeable too so I've thought about using it somehow in my 50th birthday scrap quilt....not sure how, though. Maybe just sewn across some of the scrappy squares before I surround them with other fabrics?????
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I have made baby blankets from plisse (softer form of seersucker). I make them 45" square but round the corners. I then sew ruffled lace or eyelet around the blanket. (I have also used hand crocheted lace.) These are very nice to put over a baby in the summer or to use as a cover for a nursing mom. They are a covering and block the wind, etc. but are not hot like a flannel blanket could be in the summer.