Applique Flag - 2 sides?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Default Applique Flag - 2 sides?

Hey Y'all!
My son is in the sax section at Jacksonville State Univ. Blow Southerners! 2 other sections in their marching band have flags they display during home games. Their flags are printed, not sewn.
I offered to make a flag for the sax section and they sent me a design. So now I'm working out the details. I ordered the background/flag from a band supply company, so all I have to do is applique the words, saxophone images & logo. The fabric is a light weight standard color guard flag fabric. Here's where I'm in a dilemma...I want the flag to be 2 sided. Words/images on both sides. Would it be best to make 2 flags & then sew them together? Or is there a way to applique on both sides of one flag without messing it up? Invisible bobbin thread??? Is that possible to do?

Also - if you son/daughter is in the Marching Southerners...Shhhh, please! It's a surprise. =)

Thank you for your input and advise!
Donna Mc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599700[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails final-design.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Two layering would give a nicer finish.
However, it would add extra weight ....... and the fly-ability might be hampered.

Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 AM

i did a bath mat this way...put your applique fabric on both sides of the flag, pin or baste in place. Now stitch (very small straight or zz stitches) around your outlined design, which is drawn on only one side. Now trim closely outside the stitching on both sides. Set your machine for close ZZ stitch (practice on 3 layers). and stitch completely around the design. This should give you the applique on both sides. Hope you can figure it out!