A baby library...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM

I'll Love you forever
and any Richard Scarry books.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Anything by Eric Carle..Very Hungry Caterpillar, the Very Busy Spider, Brown Bear Brown bear. My grandson has also taken a liking to the "No, David" books.
Donal Crews train book is good for colors.
Any of the boardbooks you find with texture spots are favorites with my 14 month old. The four year old has recently discovered fairy tales, but they can be a little dark, if you don't explain that it is all make-believe. Have fun. I'm a retired teacher and yesterday my DGS looked at my books and told me it looked like I had my own library. In spite of my husband's complaints I knew I had done the right thing by saving my favorite books.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Good for you!!! IMHO you are giving your GD one of the best gifts she will ever recieve. I did the same with my GC.
My parents got books for my brothers and I when we were very little and I was always thrilled to get a new one.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 PM

I have a recommendation for the new parents. It's called The Baby Book by William Sears, M.D. He is a pediatrician, his wife is a pediatric nurse, and they have 8 children - if anyone knows kids, it's this couple. My husband researched all the baby books and got this book for me when I was pregnant with our first son, and by the time our second son was in kindergarten that book was WORN OUT. It has great advice for new parents, especially when it's 3 am and the baby won't stop crying and you're freaking out and don't know what to do and you can't call Grandma for help! I cannot recommend it enough.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM

The Honey Hunt and anything else Berenstain Bears!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Good Night Moon and anything by Eric Carle...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
My absolute favorite childrens book is "The Giving Tree"...as for stepping on toes..I figure its my grandchild too I make quilts and do whatever I want for my grands..if the other do as well ..its all good.
It's my stepdaughters baby...so I am a bonus grandparent...and I "KNOW" how my stepdaughters mother and grandmother are, so it's easier if I don't compete, for family harmony... They might both pick apart my quilting, my color choices, my pattern choice, lol...

I have made her one quilt, and it's not like I won't in the future, I just LOVE books even more, and plan to keep that my signature gift...

Keep the books coming (most were already on my list, but there are some others I've missed!)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Pat the Bunny
The Icky sticky Frog
The Grumpy Lady Bug
Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Start haunting your local thrift store or goodwill. I've found unbelievable amounts of books in good to great/like new condition for about 25 cents each. These way you can have books that the baby can "read" herself and don't worry about them getting torn up.

Also, check out the Kohl's Cares for Kids books. They come out with a different set each quarter. The books revolve around a theme. They are usually hard back books. Normally (but not always) there are four books and four matching stuffed animals. Right now they've got the Clifford books. In the past I've gotten the Eric Carl books, Curious George books, and the Duck Soup books. I've also seen the Dr. Seuss books there too. Books and stuffed animals cost $5.00 each.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 PM

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge
Any books by Virginia Lee Burton: Mike Mulligan and his Steamshovel, Katy and the Big Snow, The Little Hous
Little Blue and Little Yellow
The Snowy Day
Madeline
The Sweetest Fig
The Widow's Broom
The Polar Express
Caps for Sale
Each Peach,Pear Plum
Blueberries for Sal
The Runaway Bunny & Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise Brown
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Giving Tree
Miss Rumphius
Owl Babies
Little Oh
My 'baby' (16) will occasionally dig some out and read again.