Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby scans are they accurate?

Baby scans are they accurate?

My son and girlfriend went for 20 week scan yesterday, baby was not playing and wouldn't get into position to tell sex. They went for a 3D scan which was not that clear, but radiographer said its a girl. I'm over the moon after two boys myself, so far I've only made neutral baby stuff and I have no pinks in my small stash. Is the scan likely to be accurate? Should I go buy pink wool and quilts fabrics?

I do not know how accurate the scans are but I do know not all new parents like pink so you might want to check before you end up spending money.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    For 7 months my grandson & wife were told they were having a boy. Imagine their surprise when they had a girl. So are scans accurate? Not 100% of the time.

Well, if you make a pink anything, keep it till the baby is here. I made a girl quilt for my nephew and he has a son. They said for sure it was a girl. I do not know what happen to the quilt, but Hunter did not use it. I know when I had my fourth child all the nurses, kept saying I was having a girl. Well I went to the hospital with a blanket to bring my baby home that was PINK, and I had another son, my third. My husband found a white blanket to come home in. I think waiting is the best to do.

You can always make a quilt for both sexes and then there will always be an extra one for the next one that you need a quilt for.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

As my dr said, girls like blue, too!

Unless it's very obvious it's a boy then the scans are not accurate. The more experienced the tech the better they are at looking at the pictures and knowing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

It's funny...pink USED to be a boy color, and pale blue for girls. Red is the more aggressive/masculine color, so light red was considered appropriate for boys. I think it started changing around the 1930-40's.

Here's a somewhat interesting article on the subject, complete with a photo of young FDR, apparently in a cute little dress, LOL. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ys-blue-girls/

So if you DO make something pink, and it turns out to be a boy, you could always just say you're going retro. My friend has two boys and they have some pink blankets and things. I don't see the big deal, except I just don't like that color in general. The article even says that pink is one of the least-liked colors among adults. I wholeheartedly agree, it's definitely MY least favorite color!

My former boss' "daughter" (or so they thought) turned out to be a Kevin....sometimes the parts hide at the worst times.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Unless it's very obvious it's a boy then the scans are not accurate. The more experienced the tech the better they are at looking at the pictures and knowing.
    No they are not always accurate. My friend has 2 new Grand babies 27days apart. Both were told they were having girls Well Storme got her baby girl after 3 boys and Katy finally got her little boy after 2 girls. This new 3D does not seem to be any more accurate than the other one. I have 3 GDs that were suppose to be boys

No one positively knows what the sex will be until the baby is born. I've heard of lots of mistakes made by the scans.

Thanx everyone, I've already made 3 non gender specific, quilts, Winnie the Pooh, zoo animals and a lemon quilt with bumble bees, bought some pink and lilac today, which I'll make up once I've quilted the drunkards path I made to match my new sofas. No harm if scans inaccurate as I'll have a wee stash I can always use up as gifts for other babies. Baby will be loved whatever and most important is that's a healthy wee thing x

Just was at a baby shower for my grand daughter. They had the altra sound done, but told the Dr. just to tell them if every thing was ok and NOT the sex. It`s been a long time since I was to a baby shower and now they have theme showers, of which I was not told, so I made a crochet shawl, with the 4 baby colors, and a quilt with white embroiderd sq. set out in yellow. Now the blocks were farm animals. The child is not from the farm, but We are and wanted it to know it`s back ground. The theme was books to read to the baby. She got 61 books! I also let her know that when we know what the sex is there will be 6 home made receiving blankets here for them,

Blog Entries
    I don't "yet" how accurate the 3D scans are. We are expecting our little one at the end of the month. My daughter has had about 5 ultra sounds so far. There have been some hiccups. But, so far, so good. They have told her it is most likely a girl. Basically they told her if it is a boy, he is hiding it very well. She really sort of looks like she's carrying another little boy. But, I have made a girl quilt at my daughters request in Pink, Purple and Aqua and Grey. If it's a boy, I will be making another quilt for her in Navy, lime and white or Orange and Gray. So, I guess we will see. I'm am just praying for a healthy baby. Good luck and congratulations!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

When my DDs were born in the 60s, they were born at a Catholic hospital with many nurses who were also nuns. When I saw my firstborn, she was wrapped in a blue blanket. I was told blue is the color of the Little Company of Mary nuns and Mary wore blue. The boys were wrapped in pink.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Go for baby animals. That always works. or make a baby's log cabin. Use gray and bind it with rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    My former boss' "daughter" (or so they thought) turned out to be a Kevin....sometimes the parts hide at the worst times.
    I know a woman named Keith..

After the 20 week scan my son was not convinced that they were having a girl...he said the radiographer/ultrasound tech. didn't seem or look positive that the baby is a girl since the baby was not in a great position at the time. They waited another month (as recommended by Bellisimo, where she had it done) to get a 3d scan. We all went last night and she is defiantly a she, we could clearly see! Her name is Kara and she is adorable.

They aren't always accurate. You gender neutral quilts will work until the baby arrives, then you can make one specifically for baby.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

They are fairly accurate The need a good shot of the "family jewels" to verify it is a boy

I know of a couple instances where the couple was quite surprised! Our DD is due Sept 14 and her ultrasound indicates a girl. I have a yellow, green, and white quilt with little twist bows that are blues and pinks. It is backed with yellow minkee. So it will work either way. I would caution you against putting baby's name on any items ahead of time, though.

My niece is an ER RN, when she was expecting they were told it was twin boys. She had sonograms more than usual because of where she worked. I told her that they aren't always accurate and she told me that I was suffering from wishful thinking and she was having 2 boys. Everyone bought boy items - I bought neutral items - when her daughter was delivered first, I think I was the only one that wasn't totally surprised.

Blog Entries
    Just been on viralnova., it was crazy. I looked at 31 builders disasters. A bridge where the two spans failed to aline. Steps with no door . Doors with no floor escalator ending in a ceiling. You wonder how all these wrongs happen.
    Finished is better than a UFO