Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Babylock Spirit...automatic basting? >

Babylock Spirit...automatic basting?

Babylock Spirit...automatic basting?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Babylock Spirit...automatic basting?

Hi all! I've had my Babylock Spirit for 4 yrs. now and I remember one of the features that caught my eye was the "automatic basting". Basically it can baste the fabric/stabilizer in the hoop before starting the embroidery design. I've looked in the manual and online but to no avail. Does anyone who owns this machine know if it does "automatic basting"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Interesting. When I Googled, I found this feature mentioned everywhere for the Babylock Spirit. However, I could not find instructions for it in any of the online manuals. I am not familiar with your machine, but I did find some information online about automatic basting that may be useful to you. Apparently some machines require using a "basting file" to do the automatic basting around the hoop. Here is what I found that might help:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/84083
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/74941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-0RTHGIfs

The following shows the automatic basting icon on a Bernina (click on the first photo to enlarge). Maybe you can find something similar on your Babylock.
http://dzgns.com/blog/2011/02/why-i-...sting-feature/
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the links really useful.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:51 AM

Contact bl directly and ask for instructions...or your dealer should be able to help you.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:13 AM

I don't know about the newer machines, mine is 7 yrs old......... if it does basting in the hoop then it should be in your built in embroidery designs ,i have basting stitches but they are designs i downloaded from a website (sorry can't remember where it's been a while) . my brother dosen't have a built in basting stitches so when i embroider a design i program the basting stitch first then the design and start the machine hope this helps
Old 08-09-2016, 04:21 AM

Interestingly I use this feature on my Brother Innovis 5000 all the time, but could not find hide nor hare of it in the manual. So, just for the heck of it, give this a try. After you have completed any design changes you want to make, hit the 'end edit' key and before hitting the button "sewing" look for a couple of icons above it. One looks like a shield - that's for making patches - the other one has a picture with stitching lines around it. (Mine is a single pink flower with stitching around it.) Hit that button and it should insert the basting stitches at the beginning of the design. If you save the design. the basting stitches will not be saved and you will need to insert them again when you select the design.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:37 AM

On my Brother PE770 it's in the frame section of the pre-loaded designs. It's the square or rectangular design.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Thank you all so much. I have asked my bl dealer and they too are confused but mentioned the same that I can probably find it where the frames and such are. I'm just one that if it states it in the specifications then I should be able to find it in the manual and use it. I'll look at the links and see what I find. Just thought I'd ask and glad I did!