Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Back Pain/Fibermyalgia sufferers try this

  1. #1
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    I know that this may sound strange but it works. I suffer from back pain and fibermyalgia pain it is not fun when both act up. My mom told me about a friend of hers who soaks in a bathtub with epsion salt. I thought she was nuts until I tried it (besides who doesn't like to soak in a bath away from the kids!) What you do is run a bath as hot as you can stand it. You will need at least 4lbs of epsion salts and let dissolve. Soak in the tub for as long as you like. I actually was able to sit in the tub for about 15 minutes and loved every minute. Then wrap yourself in a heavy robe or blanket and stay there to sweat it out. I didn't feel any different that night but the next day and today WOW I woke up with no pain and that is very rare. I know some of us have issues and I thought I would pass along something that worked for me. Try it what do you have to loose??

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Thank you so much.. I am old enough to know Epsom salts does this, it was used long before the modern stuff came in, but had forgotten.. I will pass this to my daughter who has fibromyalgia. She will be ver grateful I am sure.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Twilliebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    555
    Thanks, Jade. I'll be trying this. As a fellow traveller down the fibro/CFS road, the words 'no pain' are like the Holy Grail............
    Glad you got a pain free day. Aren't they wonderful!?!

  4. #4
    Super Member purplemem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Misssissippi
    Posts
    3,303
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'll try this too. Thanks for the new idea. A pain free day without more pills would be a blessing!

  5. #5
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    My DD does this for her monthly cramping and it helps.

  6. #6
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    I am a big fan of Espom salts. I think it is good for many ailments. It's a shame that I sometimes forget about it. As soon as I remember, I use it and it always works great.

  7. #7
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    WOW! I'm going to the store and get some today!!!! Sounds wonderful! I used to use Epsom salts for a lot of things...including as fertilizer for houseplants...but had forgotten about it!!!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western australia
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Thanks, Jade. I'll be trying this. As a fellow traveller down the fibro/CFS road, the words 'no pain' are like the Holy Grail............
    Glad you got a pain free day. Aren't they wonderful!?!
    thanks for the reminder. I have forgotten what it is like to have a pain free day. pain is a constance the only variation is the severity most days it is between 2-5 some days a 10 having CFS & FIBRO & NPD I don't get much respite from pain. it is just a case of keep going regardless I can't give into it or I would be bed ridden and i can't be bed ridden looking after mum and 45 cats and helping DH in the business and trying to quilt

  9. #9
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,788
    Blog Entries
    2
    my back is killing me today. wish i had some! the only trouble is i'd need someone to help get me up out of the bath tub!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    thank you for the tip!like all fibro& arthritis sufferers,am desperate to try anything that works!if nothingelse the relief of being in the tub helps! like many of you,i am a widow ,so getting in & out of the tub alone is too scary for me! i am lucky to have a whirlpool tub,but it is so dep it's hard to get i & out of w/o help,een w/all the bars.SO afraid of falling & breaking a hip[i'm 68] my bf is really great,but sometimes it's embarrassing having to ask.the only thing worse than getting old is the alternative !!!!!!!!!!
    will surely try the epsom salt,tho.thanks for the tip
    dar

  11. #11
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    thank you for the tip!like all fibro& arthritis sufferers,am desperate to try anything that works!if nothingelse the relief of being in the tub helps! like many of you,i am a widow ,so getting in & out of the tub alone is too scary for me! i am lucky to have a whirlpool tub,but it is so dep it's hard to get i & out of w/o help,een w/all the bars.SO afraid of falling & breaking a hip[i'm 68] my bf is really great,but sometimes it's embarrassing having to ask.the only thing worse than getting old is the alternative !!!!!!!!!!
    will surely try the epsom salt,tho.thanks for the tip
    dar
    Is there any home health that you could apply for? My late husband had help a few times a week and I helped him other times during the week.

  12. #12
    joyceelaine1951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down in the Boondocks
    Posts
    179
    I wish we had a bathtub, but, had it taken out to make it handicapped for my 85 year old mom. We have a step in shower .

  13. #13
    Super Member lauriejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    3,315
    Hmmm waking up with no pain, I don't think I know what that means LOL! I believe the last time that happened was 1981. But this is a tip I will definitely try, I had forgotten my mom used to do this for her bursitis. One more thing I inherited from mom, sigh.

  14. #14
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,771
    A word of warning!! If you have high blood pressure or heart problems, be careful with the very hot water...Don't get overheated as that could cause more grief then fibromyalgia.... :roll: :|

  15. #15
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    I have had the worst backache for over a week now, will try this:)
    thanks for sharing this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member mosquitosewgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I know that this may sound strange but it works. I suffer from back pain and fibermyalgia pain it is not fun when both act up. My mom told me about a friend of hers who soaks in a bathtub with epsion salt. I thought she was nuts until I tried it (besides who doesn't like to soak in a bath away from the kids!) What you do is run a bath as hot as you can stand it. You will need at least 4lbs of epsion salts and let dissolve. Soak in the tub for as long as you like. I actually was able to sit in the tub for about 15 minutes and loved every minute. Then wrap yourself in a heavy robe or blanket and stay there to sweat it out. I didn't feel any different that night but the next day and today WOW I woke up with no pain and that is very rare. I know some of us have issues and I thought I would pass along something that worked for me. Try it what do you have to loose??
    It is also helpful to add a couple of drops each of eucalyptus, rosemary, and lavender oil to the Epsom Salts before adding to the bath water. Or, if you have access to Olba's Oils - Massage Oils they will work even better....

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE Qld. Australia
    Posts
    271
    I'd love to try it, but living by myself, and having knee problems as well as fibro, I just can't get up out of a bath. I'd need a block and tackle to get me out of the bath. :-) Last time I had a bath it took me 5 mins to get out - and I let the water out first just in case I slipped and went under.

  18. #18
    starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    413
    thank you for the information I will be trying it!!

  19. #19
    JacquelineVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pitt Meadows, BC CANADA
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Thanks, Jade. I'll be trying this. As a fellow traveller down the fibro/CFS road, the words 'no pain' are like the Holy Grail............
    Glad you got a pain free day. Aren't they wonderful!?!
    I also suffer from FMS, CFS & weekly migraines. will definalety give this a try.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA.
    Posts
    23
    Just another thing that works for me is avoid eating nightshade foods(tomatoes, potatoes,peppers, paprika, eggplants,etc.) studies have been done and some people are sensitive to the solanine that is in the nightshades. I feel so much better to not eat these foods, but there are other foods to enjoy. Google nightshades and read it.

  21. #21
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
    I'd love to try it, but living by myself, and having knee problems as well as fibro, I just can't get up out of a bath. I'd need a block and tackle to get me out of the bath. :-) Last time I had a bath it took me 5 mins to get out - and I let the water out first just in case I slipped and went under.
    Like a few of the gals I haven't been taking baths for several years because I no longer can get in and out of the tub by myself. Did spend some time in the bath tub last year. I was in the bathroom getting dressed, while bending over to pull up my slacks I noticed the cap from the toothpaste in the corner so I reached to pick it up. Somehow when I went to stand up I went off balance and fell backwards into the bath tub. I didn't hurt myself but found that I was sitting in the tub with my knees over the side. Couldn't get myself out that way so I got the bright idea to swing my legs into the tub as if I was taking a bath, then I'd turn myself onto my knees, use the side of the tub for leverage and get out of the tub that way. Only problem was that I couldn't turn myself onto my knees as my cotton slacks were sticking to the bath mat in the bottom of the tub. No matter how I tried I couldn't move my body. Good thing I was getting dressed to go out to dinner with DH and he got hungry and came looking for me or I'd still be sitting in the tub, LOL! May in Jersey

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    440
    I have fibro but I can't get in and out of the tub right now. Had total knee replacement 6 weeks ago. I hope to eventually get back in the tub but everyone tells me I won't be able to. I miss a soak in the tub! Getting up with no pain must be wonderful. First thing in the morning is always the worst for me. I have to hold on to everything in my path for awhile!

  23. #23
    Super Member lass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,071
    Epsom salts is also good for soaking when you have a minor infected cut or joint that has swollen.

  24. #24
    Super Member Roberta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    China, ME.
    Posts
    2,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    At this point in my pain, anything is worth a try. DH is heading into town to buy some for me now. I wonder how long this relief lasts with this method.

  25. #25
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    Day four I woke up again today with little pain I did need to take my pain pill however for me to wake up without pain is a miracle I don't ache like I normally do and I quilted my moms huge queen size heavy quilt so I know this will work differently give it a try and main thing relax and enjoy the quiet wrap up afterwards works better at night. Good luck and will keep you all in my prayers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.