Barefootin'

Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

My DH is always telling me I can't drive barefoot because it is illegal. I had cramps in my feet so I drove home barefoot this aft as I couldn't stand to put my shoe back on.
So I looked it up just now and driving barefoot is not illegal in any of the states in the US. It is discouraged in a few states but not illegal. So now he can't tell me I can't drive barefoot! LOL

I have problems with the bottom of my feet feeling hot and like I am standing on a hot plate sometimes. My toes will go numb. I have had it all my life so I don't wear shoes anymore than I have to. I get called a barefoot hillbilly or a Missouri hillbilly! NO offense to Missouri. My DH calls me that because his mom grew up in the Missouri hills and was always barefoot. I go out in the snow and ice barefoot and have been known to walk on gravel tho it takes a bit of concentration to distribute your weight so you don't come down on anything sharp.

When I was a kid we played in the timber alot and I loved to take my shoes off and walk the fallen trees barefoot. I can grip better with bare feet than with shoes on. I feel more confidant when I can feel the bark and have more control over it like holding something in your hand as opposed to holding something with gloves on. I had an opportunity to go mushroom hunting with my son a couple of summers ago and yes I found a felled tree trunk and my shoes came off and I had a blast walking the tree trunk! A wonderful sensation.

So who goes barefoot? Any stories to tell?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 PM

driving barefoot is better than driving with a flip flop on - or any shoe that isn't tied on ...in my opinion.

I'm usually barefoot until my feet get cold...then I have to sock up :)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I get a splinter every time I go barefoot. I'm the original tenderfoot!:) It's shoes for me inside and out:)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM

I don't go barefoot outside anymore, but inside for sure. And I wear sandals all the time, even in snow! I ruined my toes years and years ago by wearing shoes toooooo short and haven't been able to wear real shoes since! I am in Physical Therapy because I had both knees replaced and do everything there barefoot. Fortunately they are ok with it!
So you go, girl. and Happy Quilting.
PS I ddrive barefoot too!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Barefootin', yehaw!!!

Lots of stubbed toes, stone bruises, and bee stings every summer as a child, but thast didn't stop me going thru yards of clover, through the woods, down the gravel drive, up in a tree, wading in slimy creekbeds.....all part of summer.

I still go barefoot inside in the summer, but here in VA the floor of this 200 year cottage is way too cold to bear in the colder months. I have to keep socks AND shoes on. :cry:

Jan in VA
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I grew up in Tennessee and I was called a hillbilly all the time ,for I was always barefoot. I still don't wear shoes unless I absolutely have to.I can just walk better without shoes.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM

When I was young (giggle) the day school was out was the day we kicked off our shoes. We were barefoot all summer and developed "summer feet" - basically impervious to anything we encountered. Now I mostly wear socks and Crocs - can't stand dirt and dust on my feet. I have become a wimp!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM

Well Jan in VA you reminded me (How could I forget?!) about the purple big toe on my left foot because I dropped a brick on it, the little toe on the left foot that I bent totally sideways on a stray? door and the little toe on the right foot that it almost as big at the big toe. I jammed on the exercise bike (at home, not at therapy BTW)! The therapist is convinced I have been VERY BAD and these are punishments! If they only made steel-toed sandals I'd be set.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Move to TN...not illegal here.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Rhonda..this is gonna sound silly but I can't stand to sew with my shoe on *L* I can with a sock on. I have to feel the pedal under my foot to control the pressure to adjust my sewing speed on the machine. I drove barefoot alot when I was pregnant...my feet would swell up so bad..I carried both my girls through the summer, one was born the end of Sept and the other the 1st week of Nov..luckily my son was born in May. crafty_linda_b