Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Barn quilt suggestion needed

Blog Entries

Barn quilt suggestion needed

I would like to paint a barn quilt on the side of my DH's shop. He removed a huge window, about 6' x 5', from his shop last summer and now it is just unpainted plywood- waiting to be a barn quilt. What do I do to protect the wood from weather and sun, (and snow and ice LOL)? Any suggestions on the type of paint to use? Oil base I assume. I am looking forward to designing it and choosing the colors- that's the fun part.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

With that uneven area to work with I would suggest doing a quilt rather than a quilt block. 60x72 you can use 12 inch blocks and make it a 4x5 layout and still have a border. Since the area is down low where you can see it closer that might be an option. Just my 2 cents worth!

Yes, probably oil based paint and layers of external poly to seal it good.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

A good quality primer (two coats), and a good quality oil based paint. I'd check to see what the best external poly is that doesn't yellow.....many of them DO yellow....

Use a good oil base primer then topcoat with latex exterior paint. If you want to use a poly, use spar varnish, it's made for outdoor use.

First square your design for the block, like 5x5, then have at it......probably good marine sealer would be good......

Pictures along the way and when it is finished, please.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I would like to paint a barn quilt on the side of my DH's shop. He removed a huge window, about 6' x 5', from his shop last summer and now it is just unpainted plywood- waiting to be a barn quilt. What do I do to protect the wood from weather and sun, (and snow and ice LOL)? Any suggestions on the type of paint to use? Oil base I assume. I am looking forward to designing it and choosing the colors- that's the fun part.
    First off, I would go to Quilter's Cache and check the largest sized blocks. Then I would pick one out, graph out how big you want it and measure from there. I used a piece of 1" wood, cut into a 12x12. I drew out the pattern on the board, used craft paint and when I had given it two coats I let it sit for a couple of days and then sprayed polyurethane - a couple of coats, made it water proof and hung it over the garage door. Has been there for about four years now. I did a star pattern which looks really neat on a barn quilt. Then everyone knows what my hobby is and adds to the garage too. They are fun to do - enjoy it. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Vat
    I did 6 - 4x4' for the side of our barn. I think one block is probably the best way to go. But I am not sure there is anything out there that will protect it from the elements. Mine were hung 3 1/2 years ago and all need to be taken
    down and repainted. I didn't paint them onto the barn, I used Marine plywood, used a primer, painted with outdoor house paint then used a sealer, 2 or 3 coats . Good luck ! ! They really fun to do.