Basement carpet tile

Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 AM

Default Basement carpet tile

The concrete basement floor works ok for us but I’m wanting to improve so going shopping for carpet tile & see my options. Actually don’t use our basement much & it gets to be a “catch all” so this might inspire me to have it cleaned up. I’ve sold some things on CL. I see there are interlocking tiles & need no gluing. Our church has carpet tile throughout except the sanctuary. Any experience ?
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I don’t know where you live but if you have a really dry cement basement then you should be alright. We have never had moisture in ours and we run a dehumidify all the time but moisture still collects under anything left on the cement. I think it has something to do with how cold the ground gets below the cement.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:14 AM

When we finished our basement in the last place, we used Dri-core. It has a dimpled plastic base with particle board on top. It was easy for DH and me to install because the 2 x2 foot pieces are tongue and groove. We laid tile overtop but you could install carpet or carpet squares. The dimpled plastic base forms a moisture and vapour barrier and if you get water in the basement, mold will not grow on the plastic.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:32 PM

We lived on Cape Cod for a while and had a finished basement room with a rug that would get musty. Before we replaced the rug we painted the concrete floor with water blocking paint. It really helped keep the mustiness down. We also used a dehumidifier three seasons of the year.
Just a thought before installing flooring.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:50 PM

Thanks for input. Basement is bone dry & we always run dehumidifier so carpet tile seems ok. I had concerns if they will stay down or curl but we shopped today & found self stick. Had to be ordered so I’ve got time to paint the walls now. Thanks again for the info.