Bed Bugs EEEEK!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM

I don't know but every night something about bed bugs come up and I spend all night thinking I can feel something crawling on me and flipping and flopping around all night around in bed.I hate bugs know my head iches again man I hate bugs even the thought of them. :(
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Yep I'm with you there Linda Star.
They say to make sure that you don't put suitcases or leave shoes on the beds or carpeted floors. Use a hard surface. Also when you get into the room turn down the bed to check the sheets and mattresses check the seams and edges. The articles that I read say that the ADULTS look like and are about the size of an apple seed. You will see dark rust (blood colored) spots on sheets or other surfaces.
Yep, looks like we're gonna be saving some money in the future. Not staying at any hotels or motels. Oh well, trying to save $$ for a house with a sewing room anyway.. :wink: :lol:
Good luck. :XD:
Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Did anyone watch Dr. Oz yesterday, if you didn't you missed out. He showed bb and what they leave and how to get rid of them. Was quite an eye opener. take a flashlight to movie theater with you. they love the cracks and crevices of seats etc. He said they can't stand heat so put everything in dryer on hottest setting to kill them. Makes me want to stay at home.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Pandemic problem it seems.

Classic bite pattern is said to be three in a row..
Medically termed at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Steam everything, if doing it yourself. Do not try the pesticides on your own, danger to your health because BB's respond to specific compounds not found in OTC products.

Call the professional.

On the good note...they are not harmful to humans....just yucky pests.

Reminds me of big head lice...sorry, another itchy subject. :twisted:
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
They must be exterminated. Here is what you can do for now, take everything out of her room that can be washed and wash it in the hottest setting and dry in a hot dryer. As far as the bed you may have to get a new mattress but I still suggest you call in a professional. Once you get them they are impossible to get rid of on your own. Sorry this has happened to you.
Yes, a new mattress AND box spring.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by cjomomma
They must be exterminated. Here is what you can do for now, take everything out of her room that can be washed and wash it in the hottest setting and dry in a hot dryer. As far as the bed you may have to get a new mattress but I still suggest you call in a professional. Once you get them they are impossible to get rid of on your own. Sorry this has happened to you.
Yes, a new mattress AND box spring.
Make sure that you purchase a "bug proof" mattress bag for both mattress and boxspring. This way there will be no reinfestation of the mattresses.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM

I read through this post last night and can't "shake" the feeling or the image! Yuck, yuck, does it make anyone else want to go into isolation? no one to come in, bring anything in, or go anywhere, much less stay anywhere..... Are you surprised that everyone knows my "yuck factor" is quite low, and I have Purell or something like it stuck in as many places as I have readers stashed!! Hoping to be "nightmare" free tonight. It sounds like it would have made a great potential Alfred Hitchcock movie.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 AM

Admittedly, I did not read every page of replies to this, but do you all see the advertisement at the bottom of each page of this thread..Advertising "Bed Bug Killer Spray", Bedbugs Treatment, Bed Bugs Exterminator, Heat Treat for Bed Bugs!!! Perhaps one of these would work? Sounds like it's as bad as lice once was. Scratching as we speak!! LOL!!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Admittedly, I did not read every page of replies to this, but do you all see the advertisement at the bottom of each page of this thread..Advertising "Bed Bug Killer Spray", Bedbugs Treatment, Bed Bugs Exterminator, Heat Treat for Bed Bugs!!! Perhaps one of these would work? Sounds like it's as bad as lice once was. Scratching as we speak!! LOL!!
It was a combination of my steaming and the exterminators chemicals that got rid of my bed bugs. Just a bug spray did not do squat. And he gave no guarantees that it would be successful. The exterminator said the same - the chemicals that really kill them are now banned, which is why there is an epidemic.

Now I had never seen one before, at first I thought I was itchy because it was something my cat brought inside. He was sure in trouble!

My son works in a backpackers hostel in Europe and he said they are bad over there as well. If there is an infestation in any room, it is immediately sealed off and then a government agency deals with the extermination. And even if it takes months, the room is not let again until it is clear. Perhaps thats what Australia and the US need to do to get rid of them for once and for all. Bring out the big (banned) guns and anhiliate them.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 AM

I have been using food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on my chickens for mites and lice. I add it to the dirt in their dusting holes and they dust themselves with it. It is not a poison and it kills hard shelled bugs, including bed bugs.

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

It's also called Fossil Flour and it is a fine powder made up of the fossilized remains of Diatoms. It feels powdery to the touch but for the little bitty bugs that it kills it is like broken glass. It "slices and dices" them and kills them outright. You have to make sure it is not the kind of DE that is used in swimming pool filters--that is a different type of DE and won't work on bugs.