Bermuda

Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 AM

Default Bermuda

If you have been there. What do you recommend. top few places to visit and eat. We are going.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM

Never been there, but really happy for you. Congratulations
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM

I was there about 30 years ago (twice) and loved it!! Spend some time on the beach, they are great! pink sand. You can rent mopeds and see the whole island at your own pace. Driving on the other side of the road takes some getting used to, though, when I came to a traffic circle I had to stop and think about it for a few minutes.

Not sure if they still have the perfume factory, that was neat. The whole island is just beautiful and historic, I would go back again in a heartbeat. Have fun!!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

take the bus tour, very worth it. go to the street fair at night, loads of fun. the rum cake factory is great too, great samples
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Everything sounds sew great!! I wanna go....
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM

If you can afford it, have dinner at the Southhampton Princess hotel. Wonderful service and food. My DH still tells the story about how he remarked on the price of something on the menu and I said "how do you know that? My menu doesn't have any prices." I'd never been to a restaurant where only the man was given the prices (I know, how sexist, right?). Course, that was about 20 years ago so maybe they've caught up with the times by now.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM

there is a lovely little aquarium and zoo; there is a shopping area at the old dockyard. gibbs lighthouse is the oldest cast iron lighthouse in this hemisphere--if you climb to the top, the view is spectacular. there used to be a little tea room connected, with good food, and a cute little gift shop. there are forts, caves, shipwrecks, snorkeling, glass bottomed boat rides. there are museums, there are gardens and a perfume factory (i think it's still working??). you can get a multiple day pass for the buses, you can rent mopeds and bicycles, you can take a taxi (they are pricey, but quick and handy.) buses are fabulous for people watching. there is a national gallery, and the capitol is open for tours, too. there is a fabulous golf course right out the front door of the princess south hampton. there is a botanical garden...there is an old, old church in st. george, i believe, that has a beautiful collection of artifacts going back to the early days of settlements. nice thing is that the whole island is only about 27 square miles, and it's pretty difficult to get lost. the sea really is that blue, the sand really is that pink (from coral being crushed in the water, and mixed in with the white sand.) if you do go to the beach, watch out for jelly fish--there are man of war and another half-moon turquoise one that often wash up on the sand at night after the tide goes out. in the water, the man of war's tentacles can stretch out for huge lengths. we've been there three times (for meetings) and loved it. it is expensive, conservative, and tends to be a bit "british." when we were there, you would never see anyone in shorts and a bikini top or swim suit walking the streets. hotels were pretty dressy for dinner, and evening attire for men truly was "bermuda shorts", invented there--formal shorts, with knee socks, a dress shirt and jacket or blazer. it has been about 15 years since i was last there--it is beautiful. when i asked the travel agent what i was getting in to, she asked, "have you ever seen "lives of the rich and famous?" yup. well, that's it. (we stayed at the princess south hampton the first trip. i am not a fancy-schmancy person, so i had to remind myself to behave, to dress properly, etc. luckily mama raised me right.) have a wonderful time. do the stuff. go places. ride the bus. get a little sunburned. take a tour. the history is so old, deep and rich that you have to have fun. you can't help it. and when we were there, we were reminded that there was an exit tax--we put aside cash for that. yup. it was "free" to get in, but we had to pay to get out!

Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 09-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
If you have been there. What do you recommend. top few places to visit and eat. We are going.
My recommendation is just everything and anything that you have time to do. Went about 30-35 years ago and loved it. My husband liked it better than Hawaii ( he was in the service). I never been to Hawaii. All the people are very nice. Their motto then was that the tourist support them by coming and so in turn they return the favor by seeing that their "guests" have a nice time. At that time they did not rent cars only scooters to the tourist. We went in Oct and seems like we had a small rain shower almost every day but it didn't last long and we didn't get dripping. Just shop in one of the stores and the shower will past. Enjoy your trip. Beautiful country.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM

We went had a wonderful time...pretty much just stayed at the Cambridge resort. It was very relaxing...
Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
We went had a wonderful time...pretty much just stayed at the Cambridge resort. It was very relaxing...
Cambridge Beaches reservations desk was my first job when I graduated from high school! Five stars resort!!