Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Iron to Buy???

Best Iron to Buy???

Hello
    I have to buy a new iron. I was curious which iron you would all suggest is the best without spending a fortune???
    Thank you for your opinions.
    Judy

I bought this one and I LOVE it. After spending a fortune trying to find the best iron that didn't leak..I opted to go for a Dry Iron. Now I don't have to worry and it gets really hot. AND it doesn't have an automatic shut off. I like that. =)

and its on sale now..even better..

http://www.oneclickdirect.com/catalo...ff8426bca46eeb
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

I love that price but my husband would kill me if I don't get an auto shut off. lol
    Judy

I can't tell you what to get, but I can certainly tell you what NOT to get....Rowenta irons stink! And I'm not in love with the Shark iron, either. All of them leak...and I'll never buy another of either. The next time I have to buy one, I'll probably buy one of the Olisos...if they don't work well, then I'm back to the $20 Wal-Mart no-names in the dry iron section...good luck with your decision!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I like my Oliso. It stays down so I don't knock if off the table while I'm working. Got it at JoAnn's with a coupon for less than $70. Love it!

I have not found any really wonderful iron so I just generally pay a little less and replace more often. However, the last iron I bought was a Shark. So far, I have not had any problems with it.

Blog Entries
    For myself, a Sunbeam or Black & Decker for about $20 fit the bill. They get hot and steam on or off which is about what every iron does. When the big ticket irons start doing some amazing things like pressing seams without my supervision I'll be at the head of the line to but one. Until then, it will be the above named irons or something similar.

I love my Rowenta.......how different we all are......makes life interesting.

Blog Entries
    i bought the least expensive iron that automatically shuts off after about 30 minutes. I used to always get mine dropped and broken. expected this to happen. But i have had it for about 6 yrs now.

Blog Entries
    I just bought one by Shark. so far, so good. My Rowenta blew up my power strip so I had to go buy a new iron. this one is silver and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    I love my Rowenta.......how different we all are......makes life interesting.
    Love my Rowenta, never had a problem with it. I seen some posts saying that they are now being made in China...mine was made in Germany and I just bought it a few years ago.
    Christina

Blog Entries
    do be careful of your Rowenta. i had mine for years, no leaks and worked fine. Until a few wks ago. i plugged it into my power strip (where I'd plugged it in before) and turned it on-Pow! my power strip was done for. i had to go shopping and got a small Shark iron in it's place. sad to see it go but i'm glad it didn't catch fire as some have been saying!

My rowenta is a piece of garbage! It is leaking like crazy! Time for a new one, but too close to Christmas to be spending money on myself?
    Kathy

I guess there are different strokes for different folks. I have had cheaper irons such as Black and Decker and Sunbeam, and I have an Oliso which has some wonderful features. But my favorite of all has been Rowenta. They just glide over fabric like butter, and they aren't too heavy or cumbersome. I've picked up a couple at thrift shops for the ladies at our church sewing group to use, and they love them too.
    Linda
    Pensacola, FL

I've been thru a Shark, and two Rowenta's. All three of them leaked. So then I went out an bought a cheap Sunbeam. Most of the time you can't even hear any steam coming out, and then when it does - it spits all over the place. The Rowenta is a wonderful iron if you can find one that doesn't leak. And if you've ever had a Rowenta that's working great, it's hard to be happy with anything else, as they do iron wonderfully, and their steam is a dream. You go thru lots of water. Good luck.

Does our search function still work? There have been many opinions about irons recently. I use a Black and Decker digital advantage and like it.

I am on my second Rowenta Professional. My first one lasted 10 years and several drops on the floor. I like them a lot, but have found if I don't use distilled water (like it says NOT to), it will leak and dribble a bit, or if I fill it too full. To each, her own, I guess. I also have an old unknown brand one that I use occasionally that works fine too. I am one of those strange people who loves to iron. I iron all of my shirst and my DH's too.

I have an older Rowenta, made in Germany, and it works great...also have a Sunbeam that is great, it has the auto shutoff, several years old also...
    Last edited by sewmuch; 11-15-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: auto
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
    I bought this one and I LOVE it. After spending a fortune trying to find the best iron that didn't leak..I opted to go for a Dry Iron. Now I don't have to worry and it gets really hot. AND it doesn't have an automatic shut off. I like that. =)

and its on sale now..even better..

http://www.oneclickdirect.com/catalog/product_page/67728/Appliances/Small+Appliances/Irons/Continental+Electric-CP43001.html
    Thank you for the link!

I just bought one today! I guess they are having some sort of sale today.

Just had to post the line I saw in an older quilting magazine (can't remember which one) some time ago.
    "It doesn't matter which iron you buy. As they get older they all become incontinent!"

I'm with you. Love my Rowenta's!

Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    Just had to post the line I saw in an older quilting magazine (can't remember which one) some time ago.
    "It doesn't matter which iron you buy. As they get older they all become incontinent!"
    heheh quite clever

It was one of those comments that stuck in my mind too. I'm also looking for a new iron and have a Rowenta. I've been checking on-line this morning about it and none of them seem to be reviewed by quilters. I like the other comment about what NOT to use, I've been using Brita filtered water but not distilled. Maybe I'll just try and get it cleared out and see if it stops being incontinent and spitting at me if I used distilled water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni01 View Post
    heheh quite clever
    Charlie DiSante

I am sorry that your Rowenta's haven't worked for you. I have one, probably 15-18 years old. It has only spit once, and that was when I used tap water. I dumped it out immediately and went back to distilled water. I know the directions say to use only tap water, but they don't know our water around here. I hope mine lasts for a long time yet because I know I can't afford another expensive iron, but I really love mine.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by judy_68 View Post
    I love that price but my husband would kill me if I don't get an auto shut off. lol
    Judy
    You could plug that iron into a power strip and turn it on and off with the power strip that way when the light is on the iron is on. That type of iron is excellent for quilting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast