Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best stitch to alter an compression stocking? >

Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:15 PM

Gosh, I know how you feel. I must wear compression hose, too. They cost nearly $100/pair. They have a buy two, get one free. I have tried to mend those I have (by hand) but then they're uncomfortable to wear. I usually get the holes in the big toe area. Mine are prescription and I'd be afraid any alteration would ruin the prescription. Don't know this for sure, though.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I would NOT cut into the stocking. It will never be the same (ask me how I know). The advice about certain stitches is good; just choose which one seems to be the best for you. Good luck to both of you. You've both come a long way, so try to get your stress level down a bit more and enjoy each other.
Thanks for that warning. I know I would have found out the hard way. We've definitely slowed down to smell the roses and appreciate the simpler things. We're definitely celebrating the baby steps too.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I wouldn't use a really strong stitch until you are sure you have taken it in the correct amount. If you take it in too much, especially at the top, it can cause problems. I had an elastic sock I used for plantar fascitis that was sliding down, so I sewed a zigzag on the outside of the sock to make it tighter. Took it in about an inch at the top (folded sock at seam and sewed half an inch in) and tapered it down. Sewing on the outside meant I didn't have to worry about cutting the sock or about having a hefty seam inside the sock to irritate my skin. However, taking it in an inch proved too much. It was comfortable, but it caused the varicose veins in my leg to pop out and inch after two continuous nights of wearing it. Thankfully, quitting the sock allowed my veins to go back to the way they were. Your type of sock is different but, if possible, I think you would be best off not cutting and simply using a plain stretch zigzag on the outside. Let your husband wear it that way for a day or two and then, if needed, you can take it in some more. Once you reach the right amount, that is when you might want to use a stronger stitch on the seam. Of course, sewing on the outside of the sock means your husband will need to wear long pants, but he probably is anyway.
Thanks for this! I was planning on using the slightly tighter one as a template but sneaking up on the proper dimensions sounds like a good way to do it. There's a lot of scar tissue and skin grafts that I don't want to have a seam wearing against, so I will definitely approach it like you mention.

You're right, he's wearing long pants for the most part but interestingly he's always been like that - to the point of his legs practically glowing when we went to Mexico a few years ago! - but he's wearing shorts more now at home because he got used to it when he was laid up.

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
Gosh, I know how you feel. I must wear compression hose, too. They cost nearly $100/pair. They have a buy two, get one free. I have tried to mend those I have (by hand) but then they're uncomfortable to wear. I usually get the holes in the big toe area. Mine are prescription and I'd be afraid any alteration would ruin the prescription. Don't know this for sure, though.
I don't recall what these ones cost but I think it's higher than that. They're working though and insurance is reimbursing us for most or all of it. That's helping a lot (other than cash flow of course) What is making them uncomfortable after mending? Is it the seam itself, the bulk if any that's left, something else? I have the same problem you have with socks. I often blow holes in the big toes of my socks. It's usually my toe nails that do it. If they get a little too long they cut the threads of the socks. I wonder if clipping the toes out of a regular sock and putting it in the stocking first would help?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM

Once you get it adjusted to the right compression, it still may not stay up. That's what happened with mine. I used a product called "It Stays" and it worked great for me. It comes in a bottle like a roll-on deodorant, and you just roll some on your calf and press the stocking onto it for a few seconds. It doesn't hurt the fabric or your skin and it washes off with water. It worked so well on my stockings that I started using it to keep those pesky bra straps from drooping. Not affiliated with this company, but I really like the product IMHO.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 AM

It is recommended that they only be used for 6 months before re-newing so I suggest you have a look at the "use by" date before going to a lot of trouble. I have heaps of trouble with mine not staying up but have found the glue that Jobst produces to keep them up has solved the problem. A roll -on bottle costs about $22 in this country and it is called "It Stays". You should be able to buy it from the place you buy the stockings or the chemist/drug store. You don't need to use much. I use about 3 bottles per year.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Strangely whenever we receive the stockings, they're basically a loose stocking in a shipping envelope - if sent by mail by the hospital - or handed to him opened. I suppose we can go by the date his CC was charged and add a week or so for the expiry date.

Well, I received a PM that said that modifying the stocking could cause problems - ie blood clots if not well done, so I won't modify and will look into the roll on some more. The concern I have is how safe it is for a relatively new skin graft. I haven't been able to find ingredients in an admittedly short look - I found a funnel page for the product itself - didn't like that and then possibly a manufacturer link that showed me dealers in my area - mostly the medical aid shops.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I do appreciate it!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Archaic Arcane, yes, it's the stitching repairing the hole. Insurance does not cover any of this type of hose for me but I have to have them because of titanium heart valves.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 PM

I've faced this issue with knee braces. How about an old-fashioned (but maybe masculinized) garter belt? You can get the metal garter parts cheaply at JoAnn's Fabric. No warranty wrecked, hopefully, and he can adjust via the garter belt adjustment (like a bra adjustment) that you can build in. A garter belt has two garters, but maybe he needs four. Still, it's a cheap solution and an afternoon's work.

If you do sew on the stocking, use a rounded point or ball point needle and, I agree, don't take the current seam out. I would not use a serger (I know you like vintage machines) because it is intended to cut the fabric. I would use a zig zag stitch if possible, one that takes smaller stitches in every zig zag, i.e., a stretch stitch.

I hope he does better every day. Hang in there!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post

If you do sew on the stocking, use a rounded point or ball point needle and, I agree, don't take the current seam out. I would not use a serger (I know you like vintage machines) because it is intended to cut the fabric. I would use a zig zag stitch if possible, one that takes smaller stitches in every zig zag, i.e., a stretch stitch.
Finally someone came up with the hint about the needle. That is very important when sewing on knits, and even more so with this application. I would sew a new line down the whole leg, making it narrower. That way, one line of sewing medium to large stitches would suffice.
And everybody: cut those big toe nails. I don't have that problem anymore. My fungal nails don't grow, so don't cut up my socks. Ha ha!
And good luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:14 PM

I would do the same as Tartan says with the stitch to ensure it is tight enough. Then, when that seam is in the correct place then cut and strengthen.