Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Betsy McCall

we used to play with Betsy All the time

Blog Entries
    i remember those!

thanks for the happy flashback! :-)

I sure do! I haven't seen them in years!! It was always a special day when my grandmother gave me the new ones.

I was going to buy the magazine when my girls were little, but I didn't because they had no paperdolls anymore. It was a great marketing strategy; wonder why they stopped and became like a thousand other magazines...

I remember playing with Betsy McCall paper dolls. I had to wait to see what was on the back of the page before I could cut them out. I didn't dare cut into a "story" to get my dolls!

I loved paper dolls when I was young. Betsy McCall was one of my favorites. It is so nice to here others loved them too. I made a paper (fabric) doll quilt for my grandaughters birthday last year. I think it was more for me.

Loved those paper dolls! I had no sisters so they were ALL MINE!

Mother bought very few magazines when I was growing up, but this was one bought especially for her girls who didn't have many "real" dolls.

Oh Dear God, I remember my yearly Lilt well. It was not just a normal Lilt, I had to go all the way to Nutley (from Newark) so my Aunt Lillian could do the job! Then in every kindergarten picture I look like Bozo the clown. Straight crown, bizarre curls the rest. I thought I was the only one. Thanks for sharing.

My younger Sis has a Betsy McCall Doll. She loved it as a kid, and still has it, with lots of clothes in her little doll carrying case.

Yes, I remember them!! When I see a Betsy McCall I think of those great times

Oh, I used to love my paper dolls! My mom got me the comic book, Millie the Model, that always had paper dolls in the centrefold.

This is a terrific site, my granddaughters will love it!

Blog Entries
    I remember those. Great memories. Remember the little tabs to open up so the paper dolls could stand?

At summer school for special ed. students we made paper dolls. I brought in fabric and we lamaniated it along with the dolls. We cut out outfits and applied them to the dolls with velcro dots. It was so much fun.

I remember them too!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I do remember Betsy paper dolls. I also had a Betsy McCall doll. Small, maybe 8-10 inches. I made clothes for her.

I had forgotten about Betsy McCall! I used to love cutting them out and playing with them.

I had forgotten about Betsy McCall! I used to love cutting them out and playing with them.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I remember Betsy and the books you could also buy to punch out the person and then cut the clothes out of the inside pages. Had to be very careful punching out the people as I would lose a hand now and then! My Mom did the permanent thing to us also. I HATED it! They were called "Tonnette(sp)" and my mom and aunts would do the Tony permanents on each other. Stinky!!!

maT
    yes, i remember them fondly from my mom's mccall's magazines

I've also been thinking of Betsy McCall Paperdolls lately! I was never allowed to cut them out of mom's magazine by myself, but had hours of fun with them. It was really fun to save them from one month to the next, sort of like Christmas with each edition. Things changed somewhat when my younger sister came along, as she preferred toy trucks over paperdolls and Barbies. Funny thing, today she is an excellent quilter and her name is also Nancy! Thanks for a good memory.

Yes, I do ! My grandma & aunts used to save them for us ... haven't thought of those in a long long time :)

I remember those ! My grandma & my mom used to save those for us ... hadn't thought about them in a long long time ! I remember playing with lots of paper dolls. Thanks for the memory :)

Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    I guess I have had my Grammie on my mind lately, and with all the quilting magazines I have...got me remembering how I used to love playing with the Betsy McCall paper dolls that Grammie used to save me in her McCall's magazines. Now, here I am grown up and buying McCall's Quilting magazines.
    Do any of you out there remember the paper dolls, and having fun spending lots of hours playing with them also?
    Happy Quilting!!
    Nancy
    I remember paper dolls. and recently came across a McCall's paper doll page I saved and stuck in a folder for my daughter who is now 31. I guess she didn't get that one. opps

Blog Entries
    Nancy...I too loved the Betsy McCall paper dolls.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast