Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Betty Crocker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
    So I joined the Betty Crocker website because I know the recipes are reliable. I've been using my Mom's cookbook (which was a gift to her in 1986, I think, when she married my Dad). and come to think of it, I think she said it was even older than twenty-five years old...

Anyways, I went on the site to get a recipe that the book does not have (we have been meaning to replace it). So the recipe I made was great so I looked at the others on the site and many of the cake recipes include short cuts, like, using the cake mix for the cake part instead of making the cake from scratch.

Call me old fashion, but if I'm looking for a cake recipe, I expect to find an actual recipe not a short cut with other ingredients.

Thankfully they have an actual recipe for some of the base cake mixes.

Does that bother anyone else?
    I agree! I joined the same web site, which is very well laid out and very user friendly, but the wonderful looking recipes with chicken usually call for some sort of cream soup. I try to fix chicken to be healthy and the cream soup kind of blows that out of the water!

:roll:

Because we spent time at the Lake, I appreciate using mixes for starters. Saves having a lot of ingredients on hand. Also since it is just my spouse and I, I don't keep a lot of ingredients on hand as they can get stale. I have been known to say that I don't have enough flour on hand to make a white sauce.!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    All this cookbook talk has made me remember a pretty neat internet site. It's called Supercook; the link is http://www.supercook.com/index.asp. The neat part about it is it will find recipes for the ingredients you already have on hand. Just enter in one (or more), and it will find a match for you. It's fun to see what they come up with. and, some of the recipes are actually good!
    Thanks for the heads up on http://www.supercook.com/index.asp It is a great site!

Blog Entries
    just go to Food Network - there's so much there,and I prefer that over the Betty Crocker website

I have a problem with the preservatives and artificial stuff in the mixes. I always use "Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook," which, believe it or not, is classified as a textbook in Barnes & Noble. "Fanny" has BC beat hands down IMHO.

I find most of my recipes that are not embedded in my head at www.allrecipes.com I was bamboozled though when I looked for Key Lime Pie, and many of them started out with Key-Lime Jello. NOT what I was looking for at all.

I use the BC site, too, and I dont care too much baking something using a bx of cake mix. I dont mind if Im in a hurry or its for kids ( they eat anything w/ sugar in it), but for adults I want a real from scratch cake - they taste better.
    If you've everbought a cake or cookie or pastry or breads from a real from scratch everyday bakery - nothing else compares. sharet

Quote Originally Posted by DanaNVa
    I have a problem with the preservatives and artificial stuff in the mixes. I always use "Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook," which, believe it or not, is classified as a textbook in Barnes & Noble. "Fanny" has BC beat hands down IMHO.
    I really like Fanny Farmer CBs the one I have is very old and has recipes for all the basics.

I hate those kind of recipes. I don't like to cook out of a box or can. Pillsbury is bad about that too. They are just trying to sell their products. When I buy cake mixes, I only buy Duncan Hines anyway. I know what you mean. I have the famous red cookbook, got it in 1971 & the new ones have screwed up the recipes. They have changed a lot of them around & not for the best either.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Much to my dismay, I learned that the Betty Crocker coos books change over the years.

I had a 1961 edition - and the cover fell apart - so I tossed it, thinking it would be no big deal to replace it. WRONG!

If you have an edition that you love, hang on to it, even if it is falling apart.

Copy the recipes you use and care about and put them in a recipe card box or a notebook if your book is coming apart.

I, too, like to have a few recipes that start "from scratch."
    My BC cookbook was a bound book & thru the years it has come apart & I burned the corner one time by getting too close to stove. So I wanted to save it & went to Office Depot & bought a bunch of those plastic ring bound sheets & took book apart & then put in a 4in ring bound binder. Made a red cover for it & my 1971 book is safe & useable.

My favorite of all the old cook books, and I have a lot of them, is Meta Given's Encyclopedia of Cooking. It has all the old recipes and even a section on cooking game. Squirrel Stew anyone. It does have the best cake and cookie recipes of any cook book I have seen. One thing though, some of the recipes call for goose grease and I just can not seem to find it at Safeway....Was goose grease so readily available back in the mid century....what would the label look like I wonder...Mother Gooses' Great Goose Grease, 100% pure goose goodness.

I have the BC cookbook that I received at my wedding shower in 1967!! I also have three daughters that all cook and don't know who to leave it to :)

Oh, I love the old cookbooks, I collect cookbooks! Some of my favorite books are from the 30s. I even have a cookbook by some company that was promoting a product called "cottolene", I think its called, maybe from the late 1800s. A cotton oil. They said it cooked hotter, cleaner, less smoke, more digestable blah blah blah - very interesting ads. However, it must not have been that great cus I dont see it sold now, and I never heard my mom or GM talk about it.
    (the book is online at manybook.net. This site has free downloads of public domain books, there are lots of old cookbooks here with very interesting recipes)sharet

As bearisgray said, many cookbooks such as BC change over the years. They do this at least partly to keep up with new trends in eating.

The red three-ring binder BC cookbook was my very first cookbook ever, and I got it in the summer of '78. It did have some canned and boxed ingredients in some recipes - but NOT in the cake recipes. At least my favorite chocolate double-layer cake recipe was from scratch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Funny thing but when I left home and started teaching, Mom said what did I want for my b'day (Aug'72) said a cookbook, Betty Crocker, the red one. Still tattered with the spine off but is the BEST cookbook. Updated versions are not an improvement, except for more photos! So glad there are more people out there like me! Real Cooks!!
    -----------------------------------------------
    One of my favorites came from my Mom. It is so old (not a Betty Crocker) that it has one section that tells if you were lucky enough to live in a town with a freezer plant, you could rent boxes where you could put meat you kill and it would last a long time!!! Even some vegetables and fruits could be frozen, what a new idea!! My son had always loved it so finally, after more hints I gave it to him. It had some of the nicest recipes for a crisp sugar cookie I've ever had. Simple recipes, good food from fresh ingredients. I'm still sorry about not having it, and ask him every now and then to send me one of the recipes.

I purchased a cup cake book the other day not really looking at it and when i got home to sit down and read it they were almost all made from cake mixes. There is nothing easier than making a cake from a box. They are good and my favorite is duncan hines. I usually add just a little extra flour or something to say its my recipe.. I was a little dissappointed about the book though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Funny thing but when I left home and started teaching, Mom said what did I want for my b'day (Aug'72) said a cookbook, Betty Crocker, the red one. Still tattered with the spine off but is the BEST cookbook. Updated versions are not an improvement, except for more photos! So glad there are more people out there like me! Real Cooks!!
    -----------------------------------------------
    One of my favorites came from my Mom. It is so old (not a Betty Crocker) that it has one section that tells if you were lucky enough to live in a town with a freezer plant, you could rent boxes where you could put meat you kill and it would last a long time!!! Even some vegetables and fruits could be frozen, what a new idea!! My son had always loved it so finally, after more hints I gave it to him. It had some of the nicest recipes for a crisp sugar cookie I've ever had. Simple recipes, good food from fresh ingredients. I'm still sorry about not having it, and ask him every now and then to send me one of the recipes.
    We had a book about eating on a budget that was from the 1930's... where it went, I have no clue.

I'm trying a dumpling recipe today from Bobby Flay off the food network site. If it works out, I had to sub. olive oil for butter, I'll post the recipe and tweaks that I made. I made it to go with my crock pot chicken soup that I made today... just waiting on the dumplings to be done and then dinner shall be served!

Thanks so much for the sites! I shall check them out!

Blog Entries
    I love cooking from scratch. My go to cookbook is "JOY of Cooking". I probably have about ten different editions in my cookbook collection. Try that one if you want cakes from scratch.

The Cake Doctor is a great book. She does take cake mixes & adds stuff that you would never know it came out of a box. I also have a cookbook from Kansas State U that was my great aunts in college. She graduated from high school in 1915 so you know how old it is. Has some really strange stuff in it. Wood burning stove & stuff.

Yep, if I want a cake recipe I don't want it telling me about using a mix. I like recipes, more flavor than what comes in a box.

I don't like using pre-made ingredients either. I've used Food Network, but I LOVE using allrecipes.com --- while there are recipes using prepackaged stuff, it's easy to find the "from scratch" and all you have to do is search for the kind of recipe you're looking for and you'll get a huge list - I like to have it sort by ratings, then I check out the top rated ones and read some of the reviews (they're all rated and commented on so you don't have to waste your time on dud recipes!!) I have TONS of super recipes from that site!

Blog Entries
    I bought my betty crocker cookbook in 1959,love it because it has all the recipes and does not call for any mixes

There is a 2 volume Meta Givens Encyclopedia cookbook that has just about every receipe you can imagine. I think it might have been one of the resource books for the BC cookbook. If you see it in a used book store or elsewhere you should snap it up in an instant. Among other things it has the absolutely best fried onion ring receipe ever invented. These old cookbooks are the very best, because they expect you to cook, not combine ingredients and heat.

If you find a cookbook that is older than the invention of the electric mixer you will really find the receipes are quite different - mix with a whisk for 45 minutes- that kind of thing. Really makes for interesting reading, but not the way I bake.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL
    If you find a cookbook that is older than the invention of the electric mixer you will really find the receipes are quite different - mix with a whisk for 45 minutes- that kind of thing. Really makes for interesting reading, but not the way I bake.
    I like seeing old cookbooks too. Geez, back "in the day" women must have spent a great deal of time in the kitchen. Course there was very little TV/no TV or much in pre-packaged foods.

Blog Entries
    I am not saying I have never used a mixer to mix a cake.

But, I mainly use my favorite wooden spoon when mixing a cakes, cookies, etc. I figure if I use a wooden spoon and mix by hand, I will be less lightly to develop that underarm jiggle by using all those arm muscles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast