birds nest

Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM

I like the idea everyone had about putting string and such out for birds to makes nests out of. I am wondering though how do you put them out. In like an onion sack, won't they just blow away if you just set them outside. Don't want the neighbors complaining, as I also have some yarn pieces to put out with the threads. Let me know how you put yours out thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM

I just place a few on the railing of my deck. Wait a few minutes, and they're gone. Even if they blow off, the birds find them.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM

I try to cut them in smaller pieces so the birds won't get tangled in long strings. And I just toss them onto a small tree or shrub, just like tossing tinsel at a Christmas tree. It does look pretty for a short while, till the word gets out and other birds find it.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM

I chop mine up with the rotary cutter and throw them on a cedar bush in my front yard.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Small pieces are important for thread.
I have to tell you that I have a long haired cat and he was just groomed. I saved all his fur. I also comb and save fur all winter. Now when it gets a little warmer I will put a handful of his fur outside for the birds. Sometimes into a suet wire cage. No joke the birds wait in line! As I watch the chickadees gather the fur, before they fly away they look like they have a little beard. Those baby birds must be warm and comfortable.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Oh good - I didn't know if they'd like the cat hair. I just Furminated my hairy Manx girl outside :-)

And thanks for the reminder. I have a baggie of small trimmings from squaring up small blocks the other day that I need to go put out.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 PM

I save all my Golden Retriever's and Border Collies hair and set it out on trees or in the suet feeder for the birds in the spring..
sass
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Be careful with those threads though.... they can get caught on the baby birdies feet and they can get tangled and un able to leave the nest when it is time and then they end up dying from starvation beacause they cannot fend for themselves. Please be sure those strings of fabric are wide enough so they will not get tangled in their own nest.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM

please cut your strings in small sections. I learned the hard way . thanks and the birds thank you too.