Birdtalk

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Wow, how beautiful!!! The best kind of critter I've ever had come into my yard was a stinkin' possum. Sheesh.

My sister-in-law, who lives in central California, recently had a foreign exchange student from Austria stay with her for several months. One day the girl came running in to the room where my SIL was, excitedly demanding that she come see this beautiful bird. It was the most beautiful bird she had ever seen, she was very excited about it. My SIL went to see what she was raving about and discovered a common blue jay. It really hit home how often we take some things for granted.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM

I love the bird pictures but would be scared to death of the snakes...but spiders are my very biggest fear. I'd pick up a non-poisen type of snake in a heartbeat before tackling a spider of any size. YIKES

Vickey

Last edited by wordpaintervs; 10-11-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM

I love birds, thanks for the photo. Would never see this back in NE PA
Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 PM

My cat is terrified of my bird! I don't have any problems keeping the cat away from the bird. He yells "scat" and she does! LOL
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Just this week alone, I've had: multitudes of wild rabbits; a wild hare; wallabies; an echidna; beautiful blue wrens; and several sulphur-crested cockatoos feeding on the ground very close to my house, all in daylight - here in Tasmania, down under Down Under.

Beautiful rosellas having their daily slice of apple at my friends' place in the Blue Mtns near Sydney:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]368846[/ATTACH]
where in tasmania are you beemerbird?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 AM

I love the King Parrots too, can't you tell
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Elfi2 View Post
Great shot!!! Love it!!! Thanks for sharing. We have those lorikeets all around the place too as I've got a lot of trees around with flowers they can get the nectar from. The birds are also a reason why we haven't got any cats, although I love cats but they wouldn't be good for the wildlife around. Do you have black cockatoos too??? The white ones love to have a party in my orange and mandarin trees.
Yep, the black cockatoos are here mostly and sometimes we get yellow crested white ones but more often corellas and Major Mitchells.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
This is one of the brightest fellow we have visit in Possum Trot, KY
[ATTACH=CONFIG]368850[/ATTACH]
and they're plenty good at chasing away the outside cats.

Good thing we don't have parrots as we about go broke in the winter months feeding our feathered friends as it is.
I saw my first cardinal when I visited relatives in Maine in 1982.I had never known of their existence until then and could not get a decent picture,although I tried hard.I think they are beautiful,delicate little things.I'm quite fascinated with the delicacy of humming birds as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

They are amazing. Lucky you! Thanks for sharing this incredible view of a bit of beauty from Austrailia.
peace

@ woody. I have always wondered what your avatar was. Now I know! Thanks