Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A bit more of Australian wild life!!!

Smile A bit more of Australian wild life!!!

Some time ago my son had an accident as a kangaroo jumped on the road at night. He couldn't miss it and went in search of it to have a look if something could be done for the poor thing but it was dead but he was able to retrieve the joey the mother had in her pouch. We kept it very warm over night and then took it around to the wildlife carers in the morning and they were able to raise it. They do a wonderful job as those animals need so much care and lots of warmth while they are growing up.
    It just breaks my heart when I run over some animal, mainly at night, but they just come out of nowhere and you can't avoid them, you can only be thankful you don't have a major crash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

It is so amazing that a creature so little will grow into an animal so large. I live in a suburb out of NYC, so we don't have much wildlife.
    Thanks for sharing

So glad he was able to save the joey. Also glad he was o.k.

Blog Entries
    I'm just glad you knew to look for the little thing. so cute!

That happens a lot with deer during mating season - all of a sudden you have deer right in front of you and you are slamming on your brakes.
    It was very nice of your son to take the joey. Hope it survives.

"Life is so amazing it's hard to think of anything else"

What an incredible picture. So glad the baby lived.

We have deer around us and sometimes they just show up in front of you. Glad the baby could be saved.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What an amazing picture! I'm so glad the baby was able to be saved.

Blog Entries
    Needs a snuggle quilt, it's so cold!
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

What a thoughtful young man to see if he could tend to the kangaroo. We have deer that can come out of nowhere into the road, too. It's amazing that something so young can be saved - we give special thanks to our rescue groups everywhere that do such good work. And thank you for sharing your photo.

What a precious baby. Glad your son was able to rescue.

i am glad your son is okay. and joey is such a small thing to think he will grow up so big..im glad for rescues.

Blog Entries
    Such a cute little Joey, glad you were able to save it, so sad to see so many dead roos on the side of the road.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    I am thankful that your Son was not injured....something like that can take a human life also

wonderful of him to rescue the joey

Blog Entries
    Oh well done for checking for the Joey. I only hit a roo once and I had the kids with me and did not go back because they were already so upset. I feel guilty about it, but hope it did not have a baby on board.

Blog Entries
    OMG. So glad of the thoughtfulness of your your son. I understand that some people would concider kangaroos a nusaince just like deer in USA. But to be considerate enough to save this little creature is a wonderful thing in my eyes. To be a true humanitarian is to be thoughtful of all living things. Makes me proud!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Sweet little Joey! Your son deserves accolades for having the presence of mind to go check the adult kangaroo after an accident. Glad to hear your son is okay and that the joey survived. In the States, deer ARE a problem. We have two plastic gadgets that fit on the front grill of the vehicle. The air goes through them creating a sound not heard by humans, but it turns deer right around. They are called, "Whistlers." Wonder if there's anything that would help with kangaroos?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

just amazing. I'm so glad he was able to save the joey. Accidents happen. We have lots of deer where I live and there are times you just can't avoid it. It's wonderful to see a life saved.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

OMGoodness. I've never seen one that tiny before. It is wonderful it could be saved. Thanks for posting the sweet picture. Life is precious.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Awwww so cute!!! I didn't even know what it was at first, but I read the story about it and found out that it was a kangaroo. I am an animal lover and will never harm an animal! Glad you saved the little joey!!!!

Last edited by nygal; 10-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    This is SO interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have always been curious about kangaroos. Do they bottle feed this joey?

My American grandaughter Katie, is a student at the University of Queensland Vet Medicine program. They care for so many animals, that are brought in because of an accident. The strangest was an Albatross who had been blown off course during a storm. Mostly they deal with Kangaroos and Koalas and occasionally a big snake. She loves it.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Blog Entries
    So cute-you have a good son, who looked for the mother glad he could be saved-I never saw a picture of a baby Joey-thank you for sharing-did they put him in another mother kangaroo pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by Nell Dwyer View Post
    So cute-you have a good son, who looked for the mother glad he could be saved-I never saw a picture of a baby Joey-thank you for sharing-did they put him in another mother kangaroo pouch?
    No, they put them in really thick padded bags to make them feel like they're in the pouch, they have to be kept really warm and they bottle feed them. It's quite a job!!! We had one many many years ago my husband found near his dead mothers, it was a little larger, already had fur on it but I didn't get it to survive, I didn't have the right implements to keep him warm enough and it was in winter too. A girl-friend of mine got hers to survive but she made a pouch with an old electric blanket
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Sweet little Joey! Your son deserves accolades for having the presence of mind to go check the adult kangaroo after an accident. Glad to hear your son is okay and that the joey survived. In the States, deer ARE a problem. We have two plastic gadgets that fit on the front grill of the vehicle. The air goes through them creating a sound not heard by humans, but it turns deer right around. They are called, "Whistlers." Wonder if there's anything that would help with kangaroos?
    I've heard of these whistlers in Germany, I think there might be something similar here for kangaroos, not sure, never really checked. The problem is that kangaroos can be on the road all year round not just in mating season like with deers. Although my husband who used to be on the roads a lot and also at night, observed that if the moon is increasing they tend to jump on the road, sometimes it's really like they want to commit suicide..... You see them sitting on the side and then they just jump in front of your car - most of the SUVs have bullbars in Australia, some normal cars too - and when the moon is decreasing then they tend to jump back into the bush when they see your lights. It's really strange....
    Elfi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast