Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: black walnuts????

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    Oh!!!! Lucky you having Black Walnuts!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Got any good recipes???? They're good in cakes and homemade icecream and pralines.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanneZ
    Can I PLEASE have step by step on how to dye the fabric with Black Walnut hulls
    I posted a couple links under this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154838-1.htm

Power Poster
    Greenheron, I read the instructions and it cracked me up. Avoid touching your face...no kidding! :lol:

I remember my cousins and I stomping on burlap bags to get the green (staining) husks off the walnuts OOOH, yes, I too remember the fudge...
    Quote Originally Posted by dd
    Now you know why the ladies used to use them for hair color in the old days. I remember stained fingers as a kid. Guess that's why grandmom always had us kids do it.ha ha

From my own experience as a child, it has to wear off. Always wear gloves when hulling walnuts!

the oil doesn't work, but I plan on making a walnut pie (pecan pie but with walnuts instead) for thanksgiving and I love putting them in chocolate chip cookies and in my grandma's cinnamon rolls before baking, and of course sprinkling crushed ones on top of the icing!

I have used regular toothpaste and it took care of the stain and the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I have used regular toothpaste and it took care of the stain and the smell.
    OH MY GOD!!!! That acctually works!!!! Well, it took out most of today's stain, yesterday's must be in there pretty good by now, but the toothpaste started turning colors and I thought it was my imagination until when I washed it off part of my hands were cleaner!!! Thank you SOOOOO much!!

NO matter what you use guess what it just has to ware off on its own i learned the hard way too and iam still waiting for stains to be completely gone i have tried almost any product known to remove stains no success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Selena
    Time and washing lots of dishes.
    This also works for orange hands from peeling carrots. Think of it a a trial of the ancient art of Mehndi. (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanneZ
    Can I PLEASE have step by step on how to dye the fabric with Black Walnut hulls
    I posted a couple links under this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154838-1.htm
    THANK YOU The walnuts are starting to fall if I can just get to them before the squirrels run off with all of them
    JeanneZ

Blog Entries
    When we lived in our house, we would spread the walnuts in the driveway and drive over them when going in and out of the drive. Be sure to get them picked up before the squirrels get them. That happened to us 1 yr. The little rascals took every single one. Oh, were we ticked. LOL Why ours when they had a whole city park full just a block away.?

Blog Entries
    When we lived in our house, we would spread the walnuts in the driveway and drive over them when going in and out of the drive. Be sure to get them picked up before the squirrels get them. That happened to us 1 yr. The little rascals took every single one. Oh, were we ticked. LOL Why ours when they had a whole city park full just a block away?

If you don't have any ask your neighbor for some green tomates and then rub it in your hands.

tryrubbing a Magic Eraser on your hands....it took off permanenet marker on my fingers.
    D in TX

Blog Entries
    Time. Time. Time!

Quote Originally Posted by pollym44
    Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    Oh!!!! Lucky you having Black Walnuts!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Got any good recipes???? They're good in cakes and homemade icecream and pralines.
    Yes I've got a great recipe. I will post it in the Recipe section. It's a Black Walnut Chiffon Cake. We used to have a drive-in restuarant near us, but it is closed now. My Aunt made all the cakes for the restaurant. Cake is really delicious.

Just posted recipe for Black Walnut Chiffon Cake on Recipe link. Hope you enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    We have a black walnut tree and there is nothing that takes it off. We have tracked them in on our beigh carpet and it is there to stay. We don't use the nuts, the squirrels get them all, that I don't pick up. They are a messy tree but it is such a big beautiful tree, I hate to cut it down. My husband has threatened for years to chop it down, but I wont let him. He really hates the tree and I am about to give in to letting him get it cut. It is so messy.

I'm sure glad YOU have those black walnuts!!!! My grandma & aunts loved them but I could never stand them, unfortunately!! The trees, however are lovely, & the wood is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! As fo getting the stains out of your skin, I'd also suggest mechanics Goop & time.

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    I remember my cousins and I stomping on burlap bags to get the green (staining) husks off the walnuts OOOH, yes, I too remember the fudge...
    Now you know why the ladies used to use them for hair color in the old days. I remember stained fingers as a kid. Guess that's why grandmom always had us kids do it.ha ha
    The green ones were always thrown in the farm lane for the cars and tractors to run over to get the green off. Then the kids had to gather them up and crack them out so if there was any left, grandmom would make applesauce cookies. yum!

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    Just posted recipe for Black Walnut Chiffon Cake on Recipe link. Hope you enjoy it.
    Thank you, just love to bake with new recipies. Blessings!!

and banana nut bread and divinity, yum. Also had some type of fungus on one of my fingers as a child. My granddad said to scrape/pulverize a green hull and spread it on the area & bandage it. Continue til wound was gone. Well it took only a few days and it was cleared. Some think that the hull has iodine in it. Don't know the pharmacology of a walnut hull, but "whatever" it worked. He also said that this was good for warts.Sad that I haven't seen any in Houston area or central Texas. The ones I have bought in stores always seem rancid.

Well you would think I would know, cause my grandparents had black walnut trees on their farm. Boy, I remember shelling about a ton of those things every year for Christmas baking. I sure don't remember how we got our hands clean though. Probably just let it go away slowly with dish washing and all! Makes me homesick for the old days...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast