Blanket

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM

When I gave quilts to my grandchildren I specifically told them to USE them, after all if these don't get worn, then how can I make them new ones. So use and enjoy!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM

I've told my family I want them to use the quilts. When they are worn out, I can make them anoher one!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

mine told me no more blankies. so no more quilts, sniff, sniff.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM

No response from me as I might stick my foot in my mouth...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Just sewed on the 3rd satin binding on GS baby quilt he is 4 yrs old and informed me he was taking it to school next yr! He is very posseissive of it, manys the night that SIL has had to get out in the cold to come and retrieve it from our house. He gets a big boy bug jar quilt for Christmas. Told daughter that when and if he was done I wanted to put it back for him or at least a portion in a shadow box with mementos of his toddler years. This is why we make things for our grandchildren, to be used and treasured. He has already laid claim to a patriotic strip quilt he calls it the one with the "stars". His name is on the back label.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Cyn

I love it when people use my quilts but I can't make them and I understand if they don't want to use it for whatever reason. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Yes, continue to make them. They will be so special to your grandchildren when they get older. When I gave my granddaughter her first quilt, at 6 years old, I told her -- in front of her mother -- "this is to sleep with, wrap up with, curl up on the floor with, not to put up on a shelf." Let me tell you, she absolutely loves that quilt, sleeps with it every night. One night she got sick during the night and, you guessed it, threw up on it -- and she cried her heart out. Could hardly wait to get it washed and back on her bed. Now that's what I think a grandchild's quilt should be!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM

She thinks they are too good to use.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by karenchi
My DD and GS came for a visit today. He is now 2 yrs old and just delightful...I have made him 3 quilts so far. DD never let him take them to bed. Today she said that he now has a blanket and a stuff toy he can take to bed. A blanket and not one of my quilts.... :(
Wonder if I will make anymore if another one comes along.....
I have two quilts that were made for me when I was born. Mom used them only for special occasions, and kept them in the closet otherwise. I understand there was another that I dragged around until it was worn out. (I remember the satin binding on that.) I treasure the two that Mom saved, because they are all that I have left to remind me of my grandmother and aunt, and the love they shared with us while they lived.

Why not make a quilt, not complicated but fun, specifically for your GS to take to bed, and tell your DD that is what it is for? You might also explain your feelings on the use of the quilts, and the hurt you feel that she will not allow her son to use what you have made for him. Sometimes gentle words can change situations.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM

start his engagement and wedding quilt. she can't take those away. give them to someone else for safekeeping for him. and no matter what happens, they'll be waiting.