Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Blue hair and Dawn dish soap >

Blue hair and Dawn dish soap

Blue hair and Dawn dish soap

Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Blue hair and Dawn dish soap

My hair went white in my 40s and I've been using one of those purple shampoos that I got at the drug store until my store stopped carrying it. So I bought another shampoo through my hair salon but neglected to read the instructions. My old shampoo needed to be left on for 2 -3 minutes so that's what I did with the new one. Oops. My hair had a definite blue tinge. It took 2 washings with another shampoo to get it back to normal.
When I told my hair stylist about it, he said "Next time just wash it with Dawn." Dawn dish soap? Yup, he recommends it to his clients when they color their hair and the color is too dark or too brassy. It takes the color out. But you don't want to use it too often or it will make your hair dry and brittle.
So we got to talking about all the other uses for Dawn. I use it to remove sewing machine oil that gets on quilts, to pretreat greasy laundry stains (like butter and gravy) and to rinse latex paint out of brushes. What other uses have you found for Dawn dish soap?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM

Dawn will definitely strip whatever is on your hair off. I wouldn't use it though.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Our dog fell into the pond and came out like a mud monster. Dawn to the rescue. We use it on him for his bath each month now.

Laundry stains-Dawn.

Slip covers on sofa cushions-Dawn. Cold water wash, put the covers back on and let dry in sun. The covers dry to fit the cushions perfect. Dry cleaners wanted $35 each for the 6 cushions. Yay, more fabric funds!

Last edited by Rhonda K; 06-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM

I can't say I have used Dawn but if I spill down my front and end up with a grease spot on my Tshirt then Sunlight on the spot rubbed in before it goes into the machine. Works every time
Old 06-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I only use blue dawn dishsoap. Best thing ever to remove grease.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

That blue Dawn is great. My friend had bleeding fabric on her quilt. There is a tutorial on line I sent her to soak it in hot water and Dawn and all the bleeds came out.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Kitchen floor cleaner? A few drops of Dawn, 1 cup white vinegar, 2 cups water, spray it on, and mop! I am amazed how well it works without stripping off the wax on my linoleum floor.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 PM
DJ

Ha! If I had known how to get bleeds out of a quilt, I may never have started quilting!

I had a purchased quilt that I really liked (especially the colors). I took it to the laundry to have it washed because of its size. It bled. I didn't know what to do (pre-dating Google) and couldn't find another one to purchase with the colors I wanted. I had to make one myself to get the right colors. The rest is history. LOL

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the topic. Dawn is good for many, many things!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM

I love Dawn. Used it with a few other things for skunk sprayed Yorkie.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 PM

I keep a dish scrubber (the kind where you fill the handle with dish detergent) and keep it in my shower. Every now and then I take a nice long shower and scrub the sides while I'm in there. I get the floor when I'm not in the shower though, since it will get slick! Saves me from having to do a dedicated shower cleaning with some stinky spray.