Bobbins -

Old 07-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I wind several bobbins when I get ready to FMQ. When I am done I always have 1-4 I didn't need. Every time I start piecing I start using them up. I have a lot as both of my straight stitch only machines use the same ones. My Daughter has a Brother 1500 that uses the same too. Her machine came with 100 bobbins she gave me about 10. I now have a good supply.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I have lots of bobbins. I fill 6-8 at a time with white. If I need a bobbin and there isn't one available, I take the one with the least amount of thread and pull it out, then use the empty bobbin. It leads to such a mess to have a bobbin thread run out and then the old thread below it get tangled up in there. I'd rather start fresh than have to rewind too soon again anyway. I'd NEVER wind over old thread.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

I also empty my bobbins on the piecing.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 PM

For many years I only owned one machine and sewed mostly clothing. The machine took an odd bobbin so I only had about six. Four of them were wound with the colors I used most often: black, white, navy and cream. The other two I saved for what ever color I needed for projects and wound over the top of the last color.

Now I have a few machine that take the same common bobbin and have enough for what ever color I need.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Interesting! I have a couple dozen bobbins. I usually wind several at the beginning of a project and go from there. I use neutrals a lot so often it just carries over to the next project.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of bobbins. I always have about a dozen white as that is what I use the most. I have the other basic colors as well.
I just got 100 bobbins for my new Juki on Ebay. A quilter on the board kindly told me about them. And I just got a huge spool of thread so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow? Love my new Juki!!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:24 AM

I have a lot of bobbins, but have been using primarily white for all my piecing.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of bobbins but do tend to grab what ever color is there to piece with.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:08 AM

Funny you should mention this...I just recently (like the past 4-5 mos.) used up a lot of bobbin thread. Between two sewing machines that I have about 30 bobbins each I've emptied out about 1/3 or more of them with thread. Now here's the kicker (for me anyway) my DD who sews only when necessary told me she uses all the thread on a bobbin and it doesn't matter to her what color material it's going to be used on!!!???? Her mode of thinking is that if it doesn't show....why not?!!!!! Not to brag, but my daughter is a genious!!!! And why did I never think of that???? So I started going through my bobbin case and used up a lot of bobbin thread. I've done the same with my spools of thread - again - if it's not going to be seen why not indeed!!!! Oh, alot of the thread was used in garment sewing so I had a lot of different colors....colors that I will probably not have much use for anymore so in some quilts they go! I'm really glad to be using them up!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 AM

I use up my bobbins regardless of color in piecing. I DO try to match up with fabric if there is a bobbin with thread similar. I must confess that I have wound another color on top of one partially filled. Some of these I use up in hand sewing binding down or mending. I have also taken thread off a bobbin to put new thread on it if I don't have one that is a presentable match. I guess it depends on the mood I am in. LOL