Books - audio or reading

Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Edie, I just read an article about George Guidall. He was in a very bad accident several years ago and several authors did a benefit for him. That guy is amazing!
I also like Frank Mueller a lot. And Barbara Caruso - she's my favorite female narrator!
And thanks everyone, for more titles!! :D
Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
As a lot of you know, I listen to a book while I am sewing...
I love books on CDs! I listen to them on the train to/from work -- which lets me knit, too! I listen to them while cooking, while sewing, while working in the yard, or while cleaning the bathroom. :)

I'm fortunate to have four library systems within easy access, so when I find an author I like, I'll try to read everything by them I can get my hands on. I've done this with Elizabeth George, Alexander McCall Smith, Donna Leon, Eoin Colfer, JD Robb, Jeffrey Deaver, etc, etc, etc.

The name of the book is "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. For all of you dog lovers and/or cat lovers, you will love this book. It portrays every emotion you have in your body, yet it is warm and encompassing.
Sounds like something just up my alley. Thanks for letting us know about it! :thumbup:

Also another book is "The Art of Racing in the Rain". The only hint I will give you about both of these books is that they are the dog's view on everything. It is the dog speaking, so to speak!!
Oh, this is one of my all-time-favorite books... :thumbup: I've given copies and loaned my copy to many people -- and it has become their favorite, too.

Speaking of favorites, here's my very most favorite dog story....

It had come time for the family's elderly and much-loved dog to go. The parents brought their six-year-old with them to the vet.

The boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that his dad wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, old "Joe" slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept his transition without any difficulty or confusion.

The parents and the vet sat together for a while, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are so much shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, they all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned everyone.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The six-year-old continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

I'll second that.........
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
As a lot of you know, I listen to a book while I am sewing...
I love books on CDs! I listen to them on the train to/from work -- which lets me knit, too! I listen to them while cooking, while sewing, while working in the yard, or while cleaning the bathroom. :)

I'm fortunate to have four library systems within easy access, so when I find an author I like, I'll try to read everything by them I can get my hands on. I've done this with Elizabeth George, Alexander McCall Smith, Donna Leon, Eoin Colfer, JD Robb, Jeffrey Deaver, etc, etc, etc.

The name of the book is "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. For all of you dog lovers and/or cat lovers, you will love this book. It portrays every emotion you have in your body, yet it is warm and encompassing.
Sounds like something just up my alley. Thanks for letting us know about it! :thumbup:

Also another book is "The Art of Racing in the Rain". The only hint I will give you about both of these books is that they are the dog's view on everything. It is the dog speaking, so to speak!!
Oh, this is one of my all-time-favorite books... :thumbup: I've given copies and loaned my copy to many people -- and it has become their favorite, too.

Speaking of favorites, here's my very most favorite dog story....

It had come time for the family's elderly and much-loved dog to go. The parents brought their six-year-old with them to the vet.

The boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that his dad wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, old "Joe" slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept his transition without any difficulty or confusion.

The parents and the vet sat together for a while, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are so much shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, they all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned everyone.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The six-year-old continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

I'll second that.........
Authorwise, may I add Mary Higgins Clark, Diane Mott Davidson, Richard Paul Evans (for sure), JoAnne Fluke, Earlene Fowler, Jan Karon, Wally Lamb (for sure), Jodi Picoult, Emilie, Richards, Ann B. Ross, Nicholas Sparks, Nancy E. Turner. Enjoy listening to the books. I also do dishes, scrub floors, sew, cook, drive, you name it. I listen to the books. Edie
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM

I've listened to books on tape, then books on cd, from my local libraries for a long long time, mostly while driving.

I did not know about the free downloads from the library - checked with my local library, I can do that too! Wohoo :)

Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:

Off to download the reader software!