boxelder bugs -

Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Default boxelder bugs -

They are out early this year!

when we got home, the basement floor was littered with the creatures.

Ugh!

Anyone else plagued by these insects?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 AM

I had to look them up to figure out what they were! I live in the desert, I'm not sure we get those much here. I know I've seen them before. Ick to any bug that storms in masses like that! Good luck w/getting rid of them!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM

I always wondered what those little guys were called.

We get Gypsy moths, and some beetles, June bugs and what they call a Rain beetle. During the spring and summer the carcasses of the beetles litter the front and back porch after slamming themselves into the porch light.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I had a bunch of them last year. They collected on an outside wall of the house. I sprayed them with soapy water, and they didn't return. I hope they don't show up again this year.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM

We don't have boxelder bugs here but we've acquired a spruce bark beetle. Almost all of our spruce will have to come down this summer. It's going to be a BIG loss as that is over half of our trees. Not even sure if it is possible to get rid of them.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM

We have a lot here. I haven't seen many in the house since we started with the pest control spraying a couple of years ago.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM

We don't have those here, but I did see a June bug the other day. In April! What's up with that?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:58 AM

we live in deserts of the Evergreen State, eastern washington. box elders, june bugs, white fly, mosquitos ..you name it we have it. box elders & mosquitos & whitefly i spray for plus whatever might do fruit damage or damage my trees. i use an organic spray that is safe for birds, livestock & pets. pyrethrum is a derivitive of chrysanthemum flower. can be toxic to aquaric species but i don't spray near the river. i spray the grass in the yard & ornamentals-mosquitos. outside walls & roof of the house -box elders, wasps, yellow jackets, spiders etc. wasps & yellow jackets are good bugs but i want them out in garden & fruit trees not building huge nests outside house windows under the eves of roof.
pyrethrin is a neurotoxin that adheres to surfaces, critters walk on treated surface & then clean their feet & ingest it. i will never be able to get rid of them ..you can see swarms glinting in afternoon sun acroos the river & in the trees across from us. but the walls of the house no longer turn black with millions of bugs warming in afternoon sun. box elders are carniverous, pose no health risk, don't damage plants, but the swarms are horrid! when we first moved here it was like being in a hitchcock movie. my hubs would pick them out my hair, off my shirt ..you could not go outside w/o being covered with the little monsters.
...but all has changed ..i spray spring & fall. life is good now

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pyrethrum
Old 04-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

My sister lives in the country and has annual plagues of them.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:30 PM

We have them here, but we always called them "Adelberry bugs" for some reason. I never knew if that was an official name or one that people made up. Now I know!